chapter two

At around midnight, you heard the soft click of your front door opening and closing, and quiet footsteps making their way up the stairs.

Your bedroom door opened, and you were met with the familiar face of your husband. Gray eyes met yours. Then they scanned the room.

He was confused. He was expecting to come home and finish off some work, then curl up next to you in bed and drift off to sleep. He didn't think he would find himself in a situation like this.

Earlier, you had placed several small candles all around the room, filling the air with the fresh scent of berries and wine. They had a faint glow to them, giving the room a calm feeling. Even the moonlight was blocked out by the curtains.

You were barely visible in the dim light, sitting on the bed with your back against the headboard. You had your arms crossed over your short, black gossamer robe, that ended at just above your mid-thigh, and did nothing to hide your matching undergarments.

Once Levi had looked around the room, his eyes met yours again.

Slowly, you slid off the bed and walked over to him, stopping when you were centimeteres away. From your position on the bed, you couldn't really see his face properly. But now, you were standing right in front of him, and you frowned as you noticed the eye bags that had started to form.

You lifted your hands and carefully brushed some hair away from his face. And you didn't fail to notice the way his eyes fluttered closed, the way his shoulders relaxed, and the way he leaned into your comforting touch. You placed your hand on his cheek, stroking his cheekbone with your thumb, your other hand on his chest.

He rubbed his cheek into your palm, and your heart melted at how much he needed you.

"I've had the worst few days," he whispered, leaning forward a little more until his forehead was resting against yours.

"I know..." You looked at him with soft eyes. "Don't worry, love. This work nightmare will be over soon."

Levi exhaled and placed his hands on your lower back, bringing you closer until you were flush against him. You didn't mind - knowing he needed the closeness.

"Levi," you purred as you slid your fingers down his face, his shoulders, his arms, then finally taking his hands. "You need to relax," you insisted, gently leading him to the bathroom.

He didn't fight you. Not when he was so exhausted.

Even the bathroom was a mirror image of the bedroom - dark, the the faintest glow of candles that were scattered around the room. You let go of Levi's hands and drew a bath. As the tub filled with hot water, Levi took of his jacket and started to undo his shirt.

"Let me," you said, taking your husbands hands, gently moving them away.

Levi stood still as you undressed him, his eyes never once leaving your face. Every brush of your fingertips on his skin left sparks everywhere they touched. Then you took his hand and led him into the steaming water, letting him lean his head back on the rim once he was comfortable.

Once he was settled, your placed your hand on his cheek and kissed his sweet lips. His eyelids fluttered closed, and you felt the tension seep out of his muscles from your touch alone. You pulled away and started to wash his hair for him while he sat still in the tub, gently massaging his head in the process.

Once you were done with that, you just sat next to him; you knew he wanted you close. He grabbed your hand and laced his fingers with yours. You brought your joined hands towards your lips and placed a kiss on his knuckles.

He sank a little further into the tub and let out a long exhale. You placed another kiss on this knuckles, then his cheek, then this lips.

"Stay as long as you like," you whispered, then you kissed him one last time and returned to the bedroom so he could have some time to relax on his own. You shut the door and sat on the floor at the foot of the bed, waiting for him to come out as you inhaled the calming aroma of the candles.