chapter twelve

Eventually, your two weeks with Levi came to an end, and you were due to return to HQ.

You'd be lying if you said you weren't disappointed. You had the most amazing time off with Levi, but now it was back to training.

Eren was supposedly going to attack in three weeks. You didn't know the most recent updates, but you knew Hange would fill you in as soon as you saw her.

Levi's hand squeezed yours as he led you towards HQ. It was quite the walk; you lived quite far from the walls. It would take you about an hour to get there on foot, but you weren't complaining. That just meant more time with Levi.

Your gaze was set on your feet, and you weren't too happy to be going back to work. All you wanted was to lay in bed and cuddle with Levi, but life as soldiers didn't allow such luxury.

Levi noticed how you were acting, but he didn't comment on it. It was understandable, and he was feeling the exact same way.

You both walked for a while, none of you saying a word. But it wasn't uncomfortable. If anything, the silence gave you time to think, and you thought about what it would be like if you didn't have to fight, if you didn't have to ever risk your lives.

"Should we elope?" you said, not really thinking.

Levi looked at you from the corner of his eye. "Brat. We're already married."

"Well... maybe not elope, but..." You sighed. "I don't know."

Levi stopped and turned to face you. "What is it?" he asked softly, knowing something was on your mind.

You looked up at the sky. "What if... we never go back?" you suggested. "As in, we never go back to fight. Or go to war. We just- We stay here, in our home, and we can open our tea shop... And we can watch the sunset and the stars whenever we wanted."

Levi was quiet for a few moments. You used your thumb to mess around with your engagement ring and wedding band. "I would," he said eventually. "I would, if you wanted to."

"You'd leave it all?" you asked, surprised by his answer.

"Yeah."

"You'd leave everything behind? Our friends? The war?"

"If you asked me to," Levi stated, not an ounce of doubt in his voice.

You looked out into the distance, at the sun that was just beginning to rise. "Really?" you whispered, turning to face him.

"Really," he confirmed. Then, his face softened. "I know you wouldn't, though."

He was right. You wouldn't. Not when you had friends who lived inside the walls, friends that counted on you, friends that you needed to protect. But... "I would," you murmured, looking down at your joint hands. "If you asked me to."

Levi was quiet for a moment, then he leaned in and kissed your forehead, whispering against your skin. "I could never ask you to."

"I... I know."

You stayed like that for a while. Levi's lips in your hair, your hands now pressing into his chest. You both knew the reality of the situation you were in. You could never abandon those you cared about, but... it was nice to know that Levi was with you, no matter what you decided to do.

¤¤¤¤

Eventually, you made it to the Scout Regiment Headquarters, and you immediately wanted to turn back. If it wasn't for Levi's hand firmly holding yours, you would've stayed in the same spot for hours, unable and unwilling to move.