chapter twenty-two

Surprisingly, you woke up.

You weren't disappointed - not in the slightest. But you were definitely surprised. After you'd collapsed in the grass, you weren't expecting to open your eyes again.

You weren't sure how long it had been, but it was still light out. You squinted at the sun, blocked by some exceptionally large trees.

Levi.

Frantically, you tried to sit up, but it proved to be a mistake. "Fuck," you cursed as you fell back. Everything hurt.

"Y/N! Oh, thank god!"

You blinked stupidly. "Hange...?"

Hange crouched down next to you. You saw the relief in her gaze. "You haven't been out for long," she said, her hand resting over the top of yours. "How do you feel?"

"Like shit," you replied, your throat feeling like sandpaper.

"I found the posting site and grabbed some things, but I couldn't leave you two alone for too long," Hange said as she handed you a canister filled with water. You gulped down the contents greedily. "I need to go back, now that you're awake to keep watch. I don't think anyone will be pursing us now, but just in case."

You nodded, but winced when you felt like your head was about to explode. "Levi," you breathed.

"Behind you."

Hange reached for you, helping you up into a seated position. You twisted around, ignoring the fire in your ribs. Hange picked a good hide-out spot. You were surrounded by thick trees and bushes. You could faintly make out the sound of running water; you weren't far from the river.

Your eyes landed on Levi, and you held back a sob. His face and body was clean of blood - which made you feel a lot better - and there was a bandage wrapped around his head, covering the scars that the thunder spear had caused. One of his eyes was covered by the bandages, and you frowned. You had no idea what condition his eye would be in. But it didn't matter. As long as he was alive.

Your gaze flicked down to his hand. Two fingers were missing.

Tears filled your eyes.

"Levi," you whispered, reaching out for him. Your fingertips fell against the side of his face. You turned back to Hange. "He'll be okay?"

She nodded sternly. "He's an Ackerman. Anyone else, and they would've been killed."

You swallowed hard, your fingers still resting lightly on his cheek.

"Did he take the brunt of it?"

Tears welled in your eyes, but you rapidly blinked them away. "He... He pushed me out of the cart. Got in front of me."

Hange nodded along. "What happened?" she asked softly.

You wished you didn't remember. "Zeke turned everyone into Titans. Everyone who drank the wine, I think. We killed them all, but I hit my head and blacked out. When I woke up..." you trailed off, but you shook your head. You'd have to acknowledge it sooner or later. "When I woke up, Levi was gone. I found cart tracks and I followed them until I found him. He- He had Zeke tied up with a thunder spear in his stomach, and... and the cord was wrapped around his neck."

Hange inhaled. "Zeke set it off himself."

You nodded. "We didn't realise."

Silence fell upon you.

"How injured am I?" you asked softly.

Hange smiled at you and squeezed your hand - she was yet to let go. "You have three broken ribs. Two fractured." You glanced down at yourself. Your ribs were wrapped tightly with bandages. "And you had a piece of thunder spear lodged into your side, but I got it out and stopped the bleeding." Your eyes flicked down to your hip. Just above your hipbone on your left side was more bandages. "And you have a concussion." Your eyes met hers. "Your legs have a few cuts and bruises, but nothing major." She shrugged.