chapter nineteen

You'd made it back to Paradis.

The sun was just starting to peek over the horizon, telling you is was early morning. You'd slept for hours in Levi's arms, but it still felt like you were exhausted, like your head was about to explode, and all you wanted to do was curl up with Levi in your bed and never have to move.

Levi was by your side, hand clutched tightly in yours as he led you away from the airship and towards the carriages that were preparing to take him and Zeke away. The closer you got, the more panicked you felt. Levi was going to leave. He was going to take Zeke away to a disclosed location, and you didn't know when you'd see him again. You needed him now more than ever - you'd just lost one of your dearest friends, and now he had to fucking leave-

You stopped harshly, making Levi turn towards you in surprise. "Take me with you," you whispered breathlessly, your hand squeezing his for dear life.

His shoulders sank. "Y/N-"

"Please," you pushed quietly, your voice starting to break. "Please, I-..."

Levi looked towards the carriages, determining how much time he had before he had to go. It seemed they'd still need around fifteen minutes to prepare, so Levi quickly tugged you away from everyone, behind a building and out of sight.

As soon as you knew that no one was watching, you collapsed into his arms, clinging onto him with everything you had. He steadied you, letting you lean all your weight on him, letting you rely on him completely.

"You... You said that I'm strong, remember?" you managed to say. "The day before we left." You felt warmth behind your eyes, but you pushed it away. "So- So let me come with you. I can take care of myself, and I won't be in your way, and-"

"Y/N." The firmness in Levi's voice made you pause.

You looked up at him, waiting for what he had to say.

His gaze softened. "I meant what I said," he whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear. "You are strong. But..." His eyes flicked down to your leg - to the gunshot wound. "If anything happens to you, I... I just can't take that risk."

You opened your mouth to protest, but Levi's lips pressed against yours to stop you. You frowned against him; you hated when he did this.

He pulled away, his eyes looking at you with such warmth that you could've melted on the spot. "Zeke is dangerous, Y/N. I know you can take care of yourself. There's no doubt in my mind that you could take him on, but... I need you to stay here - where you're safe."

You didn't say anything, knowing that if this was the other way around, you'd want him to stay behind.

"I'll come back to you," he said, not a shred of doubt in his voice. "I will. I promise."

You nodded. After a few moments of silence, you closed your eyes, letting out a breathy "Okay".

Levi visibly relaxed - his shoulders sank, his expression softened. "That's my brave girl," he whispered as he brushed some hair away from you face. "My tough little brat."

You smiled, grateful for his words. If Levi truly thought that you would be safer here, then you were going to trust him.

A ruckus from beyond the building you were hidden behind grabbed your attention. Someone was shouting for Captain Levi, asking for his whereabouts. You felt a wave of dread wash over you, but you shook it off. You could handle yourself.

Levi stood up straight and linked your hands together, squeezing tightly as he pressed a kiss to your knuckles. He gently led you out from behind the building, careful to go at your pace - your leg was still injured, after all.