chapter twenty-eight

You woke when Levi started to stir. The arm that was wrapped around your back tightened, his chest pressing into your own before he loosened his grip slightly.

He was so warm, you almost didn't want to get up. But the ship had stopped moving, and you assumed that you were docked.

You detangled yourself from him, sitting up and stretching your stiff limbs. Your ribcage still hurt and your head was pounding, but you pushed it all aside.

Levi stirred when you got out the bed, his arm outstretched to pull you closer to him. He frowned as he woke up, his eye fluttering open to see you pulling your boots on at the end of the bed.

He sat up onto his elbows. You turned when you heard him moving, smiling when you saw his hair disheveled, a sleepy look on his face.

"Hi," you whispered as you padded over to him. He looked up at you as you sat on his side of the bed with him.

"What're you doing?" he asked, his voice deep and gravelly from just waking up.

You smiled and leaned forward to place a kiss on his forehead. "To see what's going on," you murmured against his skin. "Go back to sleep."

Levi frowned and sat up a little more. "You're leaving me?"

You sighed and kissed his bandaged cheek. He was so adorable when he was clingy. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

This time, it was you who frowned when Levi started to get out of the bed. You put your hands on his shoulders and pushed him back down. He wrapped his arm around your waist to pull you on top of him, minding your ribs.

"I'm coming with you," he stated, and you raised an eyebrow at the confidence in his tone. He still needed help with walking. It would've been faster for you to go alone.

"You need to rest a little more, Levi." You pulled yourself out of his arms and stood, looking down at him in the bed. When he looked down in defeat, you kneeled next to him and placed a hand on his jaw, turning him to face you. "I'll be gone for a few minutes. I'll come back to you once I find out what's happening."

Levi wrapped his hand around the nape of your neck and pulled you into him. His lips pressed against yours, and you smiled against him. He was going slow, his movements still groggy and laced with tiredness.

He pulled away, but not fully. "Come back to me after."

"Always," you whispered.

Levi's grip loosened on your neck, and after giving him one last smile, you left the room.

The hallways were silent and dark. You navigated your way through the ship, stopping when you saw Hange leaning against one of the walls. She looked up when she heard you, the corner of her lips twitching slightly.

She opened her arms, bringing you in for a hug. "You okay?" she asked.

"Mhm. You?"

"I'm good."

"Do we have a plan yet?" you asked, taking a small step back to try and have a serious conversation with her.

Hange sighed. "We need to wait for Yelena to wake up."

You crossed your arms, annoyed that this was taking so long.

"I have to go and check on Yelena. I'll see you later," she said, placing a hand on your shoulder before turning away and walking up to the deck.

You were about to ask if you should go with her, but a ruckus from behind you made you turn. Levi was trying to walk down the stairs, holding onto the rail for support, with Armin trying to help him regain balance and he walked on shaky legs.