chapter twenty-four

The Cart Titan lunged for Hange.

You almost grabbed your rifle, but Hange managed to calm the situation down. Your heart was drumming rapidly in your chest, but you previously decided to have faith in Hange. Levi was staring up at the sky, seemingly lost in his own world, and you felt a wave of protectiveness roll over you. If anything went wrong, he was your number one priority. You were going to die before you let anything happen to him.

Out the corner of your eye, you saw Hange turn and gesture for you to come over. Your eyes flickered upwards, and you saw two people on the back of the Cart Titan. With a quiet sigh, you urged the horses forwards,

The closer you got, the bigger your desire to grab your rifle grew. You didn't even know why you were nervous. Maybe it was because you had a sleeping and vulnerable Levi behind you, or maybe it was the fact that Hange was standing so close to the Titan.

Please, Hange, I hope you know what you're doing.

One of the people on the Cart Titan's back was a woman. You knew that she was the Titan because of the steam billowing off of her and the Titan markings on her cheeks. She had black hair, dark brown eyes and a general... friendly look about her. She met your gaze, and you hardened your glare. She blinked, then looked away, a small blush on her cheeks.

Hange introduced the second man on the Titan as General Theo Magath. You stopped the horses in front of them, your eyes narrowed on the General. He held a gun at his side, but it wasn't aimed at you.

"That wasn't so bad, now, was it?" Hange said, her voice oddly cheery. "Is Levi awake?"

You nodded. "He just woke up."

Hange smiled and moved to her horse, trying to remove the cart. You didn't move from your position, painfully aware of the stares of the Titan and her accomplice. You wished you had your swords.

Hange managed to untie the ropes that were attaching the cart to the horse. She untied the ropes that were holding Levi, and he sat up slowly as Hange turned the cart around so he could see the people she was previously conversing with.

Levi looked from Theo Magath, the the girl he was with, and his gaze fell to his lap.

He knew exactly what to say.

"My goal... is to kill Zeke."

Silence.

He spoke up again. "Looks like our interests align, Theo Magath... Pieck Finger."

So that was her name. Pieck Finger.

"Levi Ackerman," Magath said as he raised his gun. Your fingers twtiched, aching to reach for your rifle as you heard the familiar click, telling you he'd shoot if given the chance. "It seems you can stand up to one of the Nine, but... how do you plan on dodging a bullet like that?"

Fuck this. You raised your rifle, aiming it straight at Magath's head and urged your horse closer toward Levi. "I can't dodge a bullet," Levi said calmly, and the calmness in his voice made you relax a little. "But I've come before you in this sad state. Whether you shoot or listen is up to you."

Your whole body was shaking, and you lifted your finger to the trigger. Magath's eyes flickered to you, then back to Levi. He didn't say anything, and you assumed it was because you still had your rifle aimed at his face. Slowly, painfully slowly, you lowered it back down to your hip. The tension in the air simmered, so Magath started speaking. "Then I'll ask this first: you say you'll kill Zeke, but where is he?"

Hange answered before Levi got the chance to. "Zeke's probably being held by Eren to make use of his royal blood..." She cast her gaze to the ground. "No, by the Founding Titan."