sixteen

-ˋˏ ༻✿༺ ˎˊ-

Laura had no clue how the pouges pulled off stealing scuba gear, but she didn't question and promised she would keep her mouth shut as long as they would as well.  She smiled at her phone, receiving messages from her group chat with the pouges, them all explaining the thrilling story.

She remembered that she promised Rafe she'd meet up with him at his house for something. He said he needed to talk, which never ends well, but she knew the rest of the Cameron family wouldn't be there today, so who knows what could happen? She threw on random clothes and locked the door behind her. The hot, thick air trapped inside the car suffocated her lungs. She took the top off her jeep and started her way to the Cameron residence. Booming music flowed inside her vehicle while she nodded her head along. Soon pulling up into the empty driveway, she grabbed her keys and phone and walked up to the large doors.

She knocked on the door, no answer.

She ran the doorbell, still no answer.

She couldn't wait any longer, so she opened the clearly unlocked door and went straight upstairs. Her eyes counted the number of doors until she found the one that belonged to Rafe. His door was cracked open, and inside was very quiet. There was the boy, sitting on the floor of his room with his hands glued to his head. His hand veins were clearly visible from the tight grip he had. "Hey, what happened?"

No answer.

She walked over to the boy and sat next to him, lifting his head to reveal bloodshot eyes and dry tear stains down his cheeks. His breath was uneasy and there were small drops of sweat in his hair. Before she could grasp the situation, he stood up abruptly with no words spoken and pulled the girl up with him by her wrists. "D-do you understand what I've sacrificed for you," he tapped the pads of his fingers against his temple.

"What are you talking about?"

Then, his hand swung. She froze at the action and closed her eyes. His fist came so close to her face, she almost thought he would hit her. Then, a loud crash was heard, leaving a ringing in her ears. He yelled in anger. She stood, frozen and confused and still trying to understand what's going on. Her mind raced, and she couldn't keep her thoughts straight. Behind her, the wall was broken and shattered into pieces, most of it on the ground. She could see the inside contents of the wall, and the paint chips were still stuck to the boys clenched fist. He still paced the room, his hands slicking back his hair.

She tried to speak calmly, when she wasn't so calm herself, "Rafe, just tell me what-"

He grabbed her face with his hands and dug his fingers in the back of her head. "Leave." Her fingers wrapped around his veiny arms and almost a tear slipped her eye from the pain in her head. She was to worried about him to leave, he was breaking into pieces right in front of her, for what she didn't know, but she cared to much to leave him alone right now.

He ripped his hands out of her scalp and continued pacing the room. Her head was stinging in pain but her worry for the boy overlapped. "Rafe," she tried. It made him angrier that she was trying to care. He threw many of his books at the wall, close to the girl, but not one hit her. She stood still in her place, not moving an inch so she wouldn't get hit. He ripped the sheets off his bed and threw them, next along with his blankets and pillows. She was watching him fall apart with her own eyes. Her heart broke for the boy, she just wanted him to be happy and feel loved. She walked over to the boy and tried to get him to focus. "Rafe."

"Get outta here."

"No, tell me what happen-"

He grabbed her wrist, taking it away from his hold, his grip tightened, she was loosing blood circulation in her hand from the boy. "You wanna know what happened, you. You ruined my life, I knew I shouldn't have kissed you. It was a mistake, glad we are on the same page now. Get outta here and don't text or call."

Her eyes couldn't help but fill with a pool of tears, she tried to fight them off but they were soon running down her tanned skin. She turned on her heel and stormed out of his room, the muffled sound of things crashing slowly getting quieter as she reached the end of the house. The boys words kept playing in her head, unable to believe what he said was true.

Before she could get herself to leave the house, she mumbled from the doorway, "Fuck you." Her voice cracked and tears came down a lot faster, but she finally left the Cameron residence.