Bleep test and talk of Autumn

If you don’t know what “Bleep” test is, it’s a form of torture (to me at least) to test for your endurance and stamina. Basically, the teacher will play a tape (yes, an audio tape if you’re wondering) that counts the level and shuttles you run. 10 shuttles = 1 level. 1 shuttle = 20m (the length of the gymnasium). The higher up the level, the faster you’ll have to run, you’ll get more tired and eventually die. If you didn’t run the whole length before the “bleep” of the next shuttle, you get 1 strike; 3 strikes and you’re out. Oh and you’ll do it every year.

 It’s the day of the dreadful test! It’s the Day of the Bet! It’s the day in which most students won’t come home in 1 piece or if they somehow do, they’d be crawling. For Misaki, today is the day she’ll show the boys how badass she is so that they’d be even more scared of her. For Usui, it’s the day when it’s decided whether Mia would go out with him. The boy spent the previous night checking his muscles and bones to make sure they’d work their best; went to bed early to get more energy; and of course, didn’t skip any meal for the same reason. As everyone can see, he is not letting Mia win this!

 Looking across the gymnasium, he can see the said girl tying her sneakers, she must have been here earlier than everyone. She always come early, that’s why Misaki never noticed her in the junior year. Usui was making his way over to her when he heard some laughing of the boys along with some whimpers and cries of the girls. It turns out, one of the idiots took his shirt off and drew a face on it to scare the girls, and the girls of course, were scared. Seeing this, Misaki’s face burnt with anger and she went to shout at the guys but things didn’t stop. Noticing her friend’s distress, Mia slowly stood up, made her way to the fight and landed a perfect blow on the jerk’s stomach, making him collapse right there and then.

 “You drew a red circle on your stomach and me being an archer, I aimed for it.” she said, glaring at the rest of the boys, making them shiver and back-off in fear.

 “Woohoo! Mia, you’re awesome!” Misaki shouted, snaking her arm around Mia’s neck but somehow, there’s still a dark aura around the girl “Mia, what’s wrong?”

 Looking at Mia’s direction, Usui saw she was glaring at the girls who were still cowering in fear. Before anyone can say anything, the brunette already made her way to the girls.

 “Don’t expect someone to come and save you all the time. If you can’t at least stand up and throw a comeback, you deserve to be pushed around like that.” she said coldly, her eyes turned steel and she turned around, walking away, leaving the group of girls to snuggle up and think about the scary words she threw.

 Observing from a distance, Usui smiled to himself, feeling like he just loved the girl even more. This girl just solved a problem wisely, being completely in the middle, not defending the boys or the girls.

 “What was that all about?” he whispered from behind her.

 “Nothing, I just told them to woman up.” she said.

 “Woman up? Is that a real expression?” he asked jokingly.

 “It is now.” she replied in an equally joking manner.