What are you to me?

There was a moment of threatening silence in the room.

 "Wh-what do you mean?" Mia stuttered a bit.

 "I meant exactly what I said, Mia. What happened after you lost your parents?"

 "Well, that's certainly a nice way to put it and I'm totally not hurt by that fact." the girl said sarcastically, standing up from the bed but was stopped as Usui stood right in front of her, preventing her from going anywhere.

 "Mia, you moved to Japan at the beginning of high school and the accident happened but you've only been in Seika High since Junior year. What happened in that previous year?" his face was dead serious but his eyes held the utmost concern look "Please Mia! I want to know." he gently pushed the hair that was covering her face back and held her chin up. She broke free from his grasp and walked around the room in silence.

 "Okay, I'll tell you." Mia said finally and sat on the bed, patting the space next to her, signaling him to sit down and he did. They both just stared at the night sky for a moment, neither could say a word.

 "Mia?" he asked softly.

 "Alright, what should I start with? After the whole incident, me and Annie stayed in the hospital for about a month. We only had a few visitors, most of them were my parents' colleague or old friends who still keep in touch. One of them was Mr. Wilson and he decided to move his research to Japan to be our guardian but Jack and his mom stayed behind. The reason I decided to live in Japan is ... Well, as you know, the institution can support us financially but also because I don't have any relatives in England. When my dad married my mom, the English family was against it, they had a fight and dad broke off the connection. So yeah, we do have a few things in common." Mia chuckled slightly at her own joke.

 "Anyway, where is was I?" she asked herself and resumed the story "We came back to Japan but most of the property were taken by the government and in that one year, I had to go to court dozens of times to fight for my parents' money. Apparently my parents didn't plan on leaving us any fortune in their will because they wanted us to be independent. I guess they didn't consider the possibility that they'd die when we weren't capable of making our own lives. For that one year, we live in this house with almost zero money. I dropped out of school for 2 reasons, 1 - no money and 2 - rumors started going around about me and that douche; I was too weak to handle it. I started working, any job I can find, anytime. At one point I was pushing myself to doing 5 jobs at once. I always come back at midnight and leave at dawn. My jobs ... Haha, you name it! Waitress, cashier, entertainer, nanny although I really wasn't good at it, housekeeper, tutor ..."

 "Mia, you're ..."

 "You remembered when I said I was gonna take a warm shower like I always do to wash off bad memories of tonight? Well that happened a lot before. Since I always came home at midnight, I ran into a lot of drunken thugs and it's not much different from what happened earlier. Sometimes I beat them up, other times I ran, there were times I was fortunately rescued by someone walking by. It really was a dark moment of my life and at some point, I thought of self-harming or even suicide to ease the pain. But I couldn't. If I die, where would Annie go? If I die, I'd never achieve my dream. If I die, I would never meet that special person. And then I realized ... I love life. I just couldn't hate it. If I wanted too die I could just stay in the car and somehow hope the roof would crash down. But I didn't, I've come that far not to just die." she almost screamed, her eyes were starting to water.

 "Mia, you should calm down." Usui said, hugging the girl gently.

 "Even after all that, I couldn't hate anything. I know Misaki hates boys because her dad left her family in a poor state, I can't blame her for that. But somehow, it doesn't apply to to because I don't hate boys. I know there are wonderful guys out there like Jack who comforted me when the accident happened, or you, who was always there for me when it counts. I want to live and I want my sister to live as well." Mia gently wiped the tears that strayed her eyes away "After a year, the court agreed to give us a certain amount of money, my labor payed off and I quit most of my jobs to go back to school, to allow Annie to go to school as well. I chose Seika High for cheap tuition but allowed her to go to a better school because I really want her to live a nice life. I don't want her to think what I thought in times I wanted to self-harm. And now, here I am. My sister is happy, I enjoy my life, I met you and Misaki. I'm happy." she stood up and looked out the window.

 "Oh Mia." Usui stood up as well and made his way to her, in a swift movement, she was wrapped tightly in his arms "I'm sorry I wasn't there. I'm sorry you had to go through all that alone."

 "Usui, stop saying that you're sorry! It's not your fault. We haven't met then."

 "Yes, it's my fault that we didn't meet and I couldn't possibly do anything to help you." the boy leaned in and kissed her cheek softly.

 "W-what ...? Do you want to hear something funny?"

 "What is it, Mia?" he pulled back, staring at her eyes once again.

 "I never told anybody this, not even Annie, not even Jack. They don't even know about my shoulder scar. I kept everything about myself a secret for almost 2 years, never have I uttered anything to anyone about that year. And yet, you just came walking into my life and I blurt out everything." her eyes started to water again.

 "Mia, you ..."

 "How were you able to make me talk?"

 "Mia, calm down!"

 "Why do I want your attention, making me feel wrong not to tell you?"

 "Mia what are you talking about?"

 "Why do I feel lonely when you leave me?"

 "Mia ...!"

 "What are you to me?" she half-yelled, making him freeze on spot "Even I don't know the answer." she turned away, walked out to the balcony and looked up at the stars "But please, don't hurt me!" Mia said softly, a few tears escaped her eyes, wrapping her arms around herself.

 "Not in a million years could I ever think about hurting you." he replied, walking toward the fragile figure that has endured more than he could ever think. Suddenly, Mia felt a comfortable warmth and a pair of strong arms wrapped securely around her. "You're too precious."

 "Thank you!" she whispered, slightly gripping on his arms as if she was afraid he would let go and she was once again bare and unprotected.

 "Now." Usui said as he spin her around in his arms "You look beautiful." he gently wiped her tears away and pushed her hair back behind her ear "May I have this dance?" he held our his hand, asking for hers.

 "But there's no music." she argued, chuckling lightly.

 "So?" he asked, taking her left hand, placing it on his shoulder while grabbing the other one tightly, then he released her left hand and place his on her waist. They both started swaying to the music in their hearts.

 "Hey Usui." Mia whispered softly.

 "Huh?"

 "Thank you!"

 "Anytime Mia Mouse." he whispered as the pair stared into each others' eyes for god knows how long. Slowly, Usui leaned in, closing his eyes but Mia pulled away, placing her hand on his chest, signaling him to stop her eyes cast down to the ground under their feet, her fringe covering her face, preventing him from seeing her blushing. Signing, the boy stopped and hugged her, placing a tender kiss on her forehead "Maybe not tonight."

 I'm soooo sorry this chapter is so short!!! I'll write longer ones I promise.