chapter 28

Prim and I walk back to the room.
"He will be okay." Prim says reassuringly. I nod, but I'm still not convinced. What will they do to him, to get back at me? My mom meets us at the door, and wraps me up in a hug. But I can't feel her. I can't feel anything. Just like when Peetas  heart stopped in the Quarter Quell.
The next morning I wake up early. Not that I was actually asleep.  I skip breakfast. I can't eat. I just can't. Not when that good be starving and torturing Peeta right this minute. I shiver runs down my back. I leave the bedroom quietly, and go into the bathroom, where there is a horrible Greg uniform sort of thing. There is a note on top.
'Katniss, I know that this is a terrible time for you. Here is district  thirteens uniform.  Wear it, and meet Plutarch,Haymitch and Finnick in the meeting room. Major Boggs will meet you outside your room.
-president Coin.'
I sigh and put the horrible grey thing on. There are boots as well. Big construction boots.  I groan as I tie up the laces. My ribs still ache when I breathe in, but there is no way that I am going to be telling anyone about it, possibly Prim.  I stare at myself in the mirror, who is no longer wearing two braids and a bright yellow dress.  If my father was here,would he be proud of me? What would he say to me? I braid my here, and leave.
Boggs is standing outside, leaning against the waldown
"Miss Everdeen. I am major Boggs, I will be your security guard. Please follow me." Boggs says, motioning for me to follow him. I fold my arms across my chest and follow along behind him. He is a tall, muscly man, with a stuanch, and almost proud posture. I follow him into a part of Thirteen that I have never been down the hallways of before. Well, to be fair, the only parts of their ten I really know is the hospital and the bomb shelter. We walk into a room, with automatic opening doors. Plutarch,Haymitch, Finnick and president Coin all sit around a big glass table. They stop talking as they see me, and Coin clears her throat. They give me Sympathetic smiles, which I don't need. I look down at my feet.
"Miss Everdeen, please take a seat. " Coin says. I do take a seat, but I don't make eye contact with anyone but Finnick.
"Katniss, its nice to see you." Coin smiles, wrinkles slightly appearing over her face. "How are you liking it here in Thirteen?" She asked.
"Its alright, I guess." Before anyone else can speak, I completely change the subject.
"When can we rescue Peeta?" I ask. Everyone Freezes. Haymitch speaks first.
"We can't."
"What do you mean, You can't! You rescued me! Why can't you save him?" A simple question, which in return I get a huge lecture about it. About why we can't rescue him.
"Well then. If you can't rescue Peeta, then I won't be your Mockingjay!" I raise my eyebrows, and lean back Into the chair.
"We will rescue Peeta, and the other tributes, Just Not Now!" Haymitch snaps.
"Now Haymitch. There is no need to use that tone of voice," I say Mockingly.
"Katniss, there was no need for that sarcastic answer!" Haymitch says, trying to Imatate my voice.
"Are you two just going to sit there and fight like children?" Finnick snaps.
"Fine. Ill be your Precious Mockingjay. But. I have some conditions." And what might those be, sweetheart?"Haymitch askes.  I wrote down a list of things, when I was lying up staring at the roof last night.
"You take me to see District Twelve. You WILL rescue the tributes as soon as possible. That I can hunt. And one more thing. I kill Snow." I say.
"When the time comes, I'll flip you for it."coin says. I nod.
"When do you want to see District Twelve?'' coin askes.
''Today.'' i insist.
''No.'' she says.
''Look. I have asked for simle things! and you will let me do those things, or YOU WILL FIND ANOTHER MOCKINGJAY!'' I stand up, slamming my hand down on the desk. I have to look down, and make sure that I didn't actually crack the glass.
" That. Miss Everdeen, is the exact spark, that we need, to Spice up the rebels, that we are looking for." Plutarch says, as I sit down again.
"Fine. Let her go. Let her see what the Capital did to district Twelve. It might make her remember who the Enemy is. You leave at noon." Coin says. She turns around and tells boggs to get the hovercraft ready.
I walk out of the room, feeling like I have accomplished something. It might not be rescuing Peeta, but its a start. 

That is, until, I am sick around 11:30. Not that I tell anyone. I run my fingers over the pearl that Peeta gave me. There's a knock on the door. Boggs.
"Come on miss Everdeen." He says and I follow him down the hall. Standing outside of the hovercraft, is Gale.
He opens his arms out to me, and I don't hesitate to go into them.
"Catnip, I am so sorry. I never should have said any of those things." He murmers into my hair.
"I know." I say back, and we get on the hovercraft.