CHAPTER 28: Hundred flower city (1)

The next day they all rose up early albeit excitedly and headed towards hundred flower city.

"Yu Yue will you allow us to properly thank you and stay in our residence as a guest before you travel around?" patriarch de invited courteously.

"Don't be so courteous uncle de, besides since little fatty wants to go with me it's only natural for us to drop by your residence, I'm sure everyone would be worried if he simply left like that." Yu Yue smiled warmly.

"That's great then" patriarch de patted her head warmly. Sighing in his heart.  He also wants to have a daughter like her.

She's now treating the de clan like a family because they've been always good and attentive towards her these three months sincerely so she has no qualms with them.

Although nobody says a word when little fatty wants to go with her she knows that everyone isn't that willing to let their young master go just like that, her family was also like that at first that's why she understands them better.

At noon they reached the entrance of the city. Upon seeing the emblem on the carriage the guards let them in without further delay.

Yu Yue saw this and contemplated in her heart. 'seems uncle de is of high status in this city' he looks around curiously and lingers her eyes on the guards thoughtfully.

Upon noticing Yu Yue's peculiar gaze patriarch de explained.

"our de family is one of the five great clans in this city and we have quite a reputation here. However, the city lord is not happy about the great clans. He thought we're all growing stronger and might take his position away so he's been trying to clip off our wings little by little" he explained as he calmly watched the guards who sniggered at them.

Though they let them enter without a hitch they aren't that respectful at all.

"Oh he must be an idiot or a paranoid" Yu Yue muttered softly.

Patriarch de laugh at her reaction "he's both, he especially hates our De clan because we're a merchant family. Therefore, we can be considered wealthy in here and it displeases him." he scoffed scornfully at the city lord.

"But how can big clans survive up to this day without doing business?" Yu Yue frowned in puzzlement. 'what's wrong with this city lord? his brain must be filled with mud.

"yeah, even a little girl like you can figure that out, although the other clans didn't involve in trade business like our clan they aren't any poorer than he thinks. They're all just as rich because they have businesses all over the outer region. The city lord just didn't know of it, because he's incompetent" patriarch De said coldly.

"Why don't you all just replace him?" Yu Yue raised her brows in confusion. "why let things as it is? Isn't it better to just replaced him and that would solve everything right?" she added
Patriarch de laugh as he ruffled her hair "little girl although what you said is simple. In our case, it's not that simple at all..." he said and paused.

"oh why is that?" she asked creasing her brows. She still didn't get it, well she didn't study politics anyways because she was not interested in that.

"because there are no other qualified candidates to replace him and a city without a city lord isn't a city..." patriarch de trailed off.

"Why don't you replace him instead uncle de?" she suggested thoughtfully.

"that won't do either, because if big clans interfere it will affect the balance of power in this city and the other clans won't agree to it either. We big clans, all swear an oath from the previous city lord that we will protect this city and we can't interfere more as long as it's not harming the entire city.

"if you all swear an oath why can't that city lord rest assured?" Yu Yue asked her mind hurting.

"because he wants us to bow down to him, he wants to have this city for himself. That's how ambitious of a person he is." he replied coldly.