Chapter 39

Shawn seemed a bit more settled when Becca arrived home with the kids that evening. She kissed his cheek. He was working on making them dinner. She was thankful that she had someone who was willing to step in and not just expect her to do everything in the house as well as work outside of it. He glanced over his shoulder at her. 

"How was your day beautiful?" he asked. 

"It was good. Yours?" she asked, shifting Axel. 

"It was good. I didn't have to see her at all today."

Becca chuckled. He looked over at the little boy in her arms. 

"Hey big man," he said. 

"Da-da," Axel leaned toward him. 

Shawn kissed the little boy's head. 

"Daddy's working on making dinner for your fat little belly," Becca told her son, poking him in the belly. 

Axel giggled. She was glad that her kids looked at Shawn as a father figure in their lives since they were gipped in that department with Jesse as their biological father. Shawn had every intention to adopt them both when they got married. He knew that Marshall had done it with two of his girls and he had been discussing it with him lately.  Becca was tired from her day but she was feeling better since having coffee with Melinda. 

"Hey babe," he said. 

"What's up?" she asked. 

"I was thinking of after the wedding, getting the kids the Danvers name as well."

Becca stopped and stared at him. He was watching her but keeping an eye on dinner as well as it cooked. She teared up as she stood there. 

"Are you talking about doing what I think you want to do?" she asked. 

"Step-parent adoption?" he asked. 

"Yeah."

"I sure am. I was gonna write Jesse and make it as easy as possible. It isn't like we can't afford to get it done."

She nodded. 

"But only if you are ok with that," he said. 

"Of course I am." she said. 

"I talked to your brother a bit about the process."

Becca stared at him and nodded. She moved to the living room to put her son down with his toys. Chloe was already off playing in her room. Becca walked back into the kitchen and turned Shawn around. He was concerned thinking that she was upset until she slammed her lips into his in a very heated kiss. He ran his hand up and tangled his fingers in her hair. She pulled back after a few moments. He was shocked. 

"What was that for?" he asked. 

"I love you so much," she said. 

"I love you too."

He turned back to the stove to finish up with dinner. She smiled. 

"Thank you," she said. 

"For what?" he asked. 

"Loving my kids the way that a father should."

"Of course baby girl. I love you and I love those babies."

They sat down to eat dinner approximately twenty minutes later. Chloe was rambling on about her day as they ate. Shawn soaked it all up. Having kids around every single day was different for him but he wouldn't change it for the world. He took it upon himself to give Axel his bath that night before he went to bed. He just wanted Becca to relax. He enjoyed the hands on father routine. 

He decided to write Jesse about wanting to adopt the kids as his own. He wasn't sure how to approach it though. He didn't want to make the guy mad so he fought it. He wanted it to be as easy and painless as he could. He wanted him to make sure that he knew that they would still keep him updated on the kids lives. It was Becca's promise to him. It wasn't like Jesse's name was on either birth certificate. Both kids had Becca's last name. 

Jesse,

I know I have never written you before. I have always left it to Becca to be the one to contact you but I have something to discuss with you. I want to adopt Axel and Chloe. I know Becca wrote you about our wedding. I don't want the kids to feel as though they are left out because they don't have the same last name. I want them to be in my life forever. I love them both and want to be legally their father. I have spoken to Becca before I chose to write to you about it. I want you to know that if you agree to this, our current agreement will not change. Becca and I will still keep you updated on the kids. 

Shawn

He labeled the envelope carefully and put the letter in the mailbox. He was worried about how it would go over with Jesse. He knew there wasn't much he could do but fight it but he didn't want to make it harder on Becca. He walked into the house. Becca looked at him funny. Axel was in bed already. 

"Whatcha doing?" she asked. 

"Put the letter in the mail to talk to Jesse about the step-parent adoption," he said. 

"Can I ask you why you want to do this?"

"I want the kids to have the same benefits and chances for everything that Chris has. I want them to have the Danvers last name so that they don't feel left out because their last name is different. I also want them to know how much I wanted them and I love them."

She nodded. He pulled her into his arms. She kissed his lips before going to give Chloe a bath and get her ready for bed. He walked down the hall to their bedroom. He sighed as he sat on the edge of their bed. Chloe ran in after she was dressed for bed. 

"Good night daddy," she said, throwing herself into his lap. 

"Good night princess," he smiled, hugging her and kissing her cheek. 

She ran out of the room. He chuckled a bit. He could hear her talking to her mother as Becca got her tucked in. He just smiled to himself. He was really living the dream right now. Three amazing kids and one incredible wife to be that loved him completely.