Chapter 2

The three siblings sat in the guest room for close to two hours going over everything that had happened to Rebecca. She had been abused every way under the sun. All three were in tears as they talked. Rebecca apologized a million times for something she hadn't even done. She felt it was her fault for even bringing Jesse around their family.

"Where is that asshole anyway?" Nate asked.
"Prison," she said quietly.
"For what?"
"Murder. He got life without parole."

Nate's eyes widened. He stared at his sister.

"She hasn't really opened up about it yet," Marshall said.
"How long has she been here?" Nathan asked.
"Bout a week."
"And we are all just now finding out about it?"
"I picked her up from the hospital. She was a disaster when I got there. She had almost sent herself into early labor over everything going on."
"Jesus, Becca."

She shrugged while running her hand over her huge baby bump.

"When are you due?" he asked.
"Any day really," she said.
"They wouldn't just let you deliver a week ago?"
"I had been there for a few months. I had broken ribs and a busted wrist. The number I had for everyone didn't work any more. I was stuck with Chloe in the hospital for like 3 months because they couldn't let me go alone."

Nathan nodded. He stared at her for a moment.

"So what happened?" he asked.
"With what?" she was confused.
"The whole murder thing."

She took a deep breath. Marshall was sitting next to her.

"Jesse brought this girl home and tried to do the same to her as he did me but she fought back. He got angry and strangled her. Then he stabbed her on the kitchen floor. I snatched Chloe up from her room and ran. I didn't know what else to do," she broke down.

Nathan moved across the room and pulled his sister into his arms. They had been extremely close after Marshall had left home because it was all they had. They were each other's rock when they were in foster care.

"I'm so sorry Nate," she sobbed.
"It's all right," he replied.
"I love you guys."
"Love you too."

Nathan sighed heavily. He looked at his brother. Marshall stood up.

"Come on, let's go celebrate Christmas and Hailie's birthday," he said.

The three of them exited the bedroom and joined everyone else. They had just moved the party over to Marshall's house. Ashley looked up as they came down the stairs. Chloe was in Hailie's arms. Tears were running down her little face.

"Mama," she cried.
"Baby, it's all right," Rebecca said.

Hailie handed the little girl over to her aunt. Rebecca hugged her daughter. She was only really comfortable with Marshall. She had seen a lot of what had gone on with her father and mother.

"Chloe," he said.

She looked at him.

"Baby girl, no one in this house will ever hurt you," he said.

Chloe nodded slightly. Marshall looked around the room.

"Chloe, this is your Uncle Nate," he said.
"Him mean," she whispered.
"No baby, Uncle Nate isn't mean. It's all ok now. Mama fixed it," Becca told her.

Chloe shook her head. Marshall introduced everyone to the little girl and Rebecca. They enjoyed the rest of the day together as a family for once.

"I really missed you guys," Rebecca said.
"We missed you too Aunt Becca," Alaina smiled.
"I know things weren't going well for me the last time I saw everyone but I promise, no more Jesse and I am gonna get my stuff together. I need to for Chloe and Axel."
"Axel?"
"The baby's name is Axel Kane Mathers."

Nathan's jaw dropped. He stared at her in disbelief.

"You are naming him after me?" he asked.

Rebecca nodded.

"Even if we hadn't talked?" he asked.
"Nate, his name has been picked out since I found out that he was a boy," she said.
"Oh wow."

Rebecca looked at her oldest brother who had a smile on his face.

"What?" she asked.
"Glad to see you two getting along," he said.
"I am happy too. I really did miss you both."
"I wish you would have reached out a long time ago."
"Me too, but then I wouldn't have my babies."
"That's true but maybe someone better would have come along."
"I doubt it. I was so messed up then."

Marshall shrugged and threw an arm around his sister. She leaned into him like she used to as a child. He kissed the side of her head.

"Let's get some grub," he said.

They all headed to the dining room to eat. Marshall stared around his table. It actually felt complete this year with all three of his girls plus both of his siblings and their families.

"A toast," Nathan said, raising his glass and standing up, "To family. We may fight and hold grudges for years but in the end we love each other and always find our way home."

Rebecca grinned as her brother put an arm around her shoulders. She slid her arm back around him.

"Welcome home Rebecca," he said.
"Thank you Nate," she replied.
"I am sorry about earlier."
"It's all right. I completely understand it. I am just glad that I am getting the opportunity to fix my mistakes and my relationship with everyone."

He nodded. She smiled. They ate and moved back to the living room where they opened gifts. There were even presents for Chloe and Rebecca. They were from Marshall because he was the only one who knew that she was back at the time. It just felt good to be surrounded by love and family.