Chapter 10

Becca loaded up the kids to go to Nathan's. Marshall was driving them. She had to laugh that her older brother who had grown kids now had car seats in his car. He looked at her.

"What?" he asked.
"Just funny to see you with car seats when your youngest is 17," she chuckled.
"Shut up,"

Marshall laughed. Chloe was pouting in her car seat. Axel was asleep in his seat.

"Chloe-girl, don't look so glum," he said.
"No," she stuck her lower lip out.

Marshall shook his head. Nathan had his work cut out for him when it came to this little girl. She was ornery and just like her mother.

"Jesse called again this morning," she said.
"No contact order is in place," he replied.
"He had his sister three way it."
"Still a violation."
"Even if you can't prove it was him?"

Marshall shrugged for a moment. He wasn't sure how that worked. He would have to find out. She sighed. They pulled up to Nathan's house. Marshall took his niece out of the back seat. She took Axel's seat out. They went inside.

"Hey," Ashley smiled.
"Hey," Becca set the infant seat down on the couch.

She took him from the seat. Ashley held her arms out and Becca passed him over. The moment Nate entered the room, Chloe held Marshall's shirt in both hands.

"Hey Becs," Nathan hugged his sister.
"Hey," she smiled.

Nathan hugged his brother as well even though Chloe cringed the entire time. He sighed.

"Chloe, stop being a brat," Becca said.
"Mama," she whined.
"You can go to time out,"

Chloe sighed. Marshall shook his head. He wasn't saving her this time. She was on her own. He set her down.

"Go say hi to your cousin's," he said.

She ran off to play with Carter and Liam. Nathan shook his head.

"She is gonna hate me forever," he said.
"Nah, it will be fine," Marshall replied.
"Think so?"

Marshall nodded. The kids were playing outside later that day and someone tried to grab Chloe thru the fence. The little girl screamed and the person that got there the quickest was Nathan. He snatched her up into his arms and began to yell at the girl who had grabbed the two year old. Becca was the next one to the fence but Chloe refused to let go of Nate.

"What are you doing here Cathryn?" she asked.
"I want my niece," the girl replied.
"Jesse is not allowed any contact with any of us. You need to leave before my brother has you arrested for being on his property and I have you arrested for attempted kidnapping."
"You wouldn't do that,"
"Try me,"

Becca looked at Nathan. Chloe had her arms around his neck and her face buried in his shoulder.

"Now you have terrified my daughter and I have to deal with that," Becca replied.

Ashley was already on the phone with the police. Becca just wanted Jesse's family to go away. She knew they wouldn't give up that easily. She looked at Nate. He was holding Chloe tightly and promising her that he would never let anyone hurt her. The police came and took a report but Cathryn was long gone before they got there.

They went inside for dinner. She was not at all surprised by Chloe's change in attitude toward her brother. It was just how she was. Nate had saved her from something bad and now he was a hero.

"Big change," Marshall said.
"He kept Cathryn from pulling her thru the fence," she said.

Chloe was sitting in Nathan's lap while they watched cartoons. It was late that night that Marshall took his sister and the kids back home. Nathan hugged Becca tightly. She sighed.

"Thank you," she said.
"For what?" he asked.
"Keeping her safe."
"Of course. I ain't gonna let some crazy broad take off with my niece."

Becca nodded. Marshall drove them home. Chloe was asleep before they arrived at the house. Marshall carried her inside. He took her straight up to her room. She didn't wake as he lay her down and took her shoes off of her.

"You ok after all that?" Marshall asked.
"I just know they are going to try coming after my kids for some kind of visitation, because he is in jail," she said.
"We got damn good lawyers Becs. Ain't letting go without a fight."

Becca nodded. She had Axel in her arms. He was asleep in her arms. She sighed heavily. She didn't want to spend her life fighting with people over her children.

"It just ain't fair," she said.
"I know Becs. If I could fix it all I would," he replied.
"I know. Its my mess. I have to fix it."

Marshall shrugged. She sighed again and stood up with the baby. She went up to put him to bed. She was still in therapy to deal with everything that had happened to her. She still had nightmares about the girl that Jesse had murdered.

His parents had even tried blaming that on Becca. Nothing was ever their son's fault. It was all on Rebecca Mathers. It was worse when they found out who her brother was. Then she was really the devil. She hated dealing with them and now that Jesse was in jail, she didn't have to anymore unless they drug her to court.