Chapter 12

Becca met with lawyers the next day. It had kept her up the night before. She felt like shit and probably looked it as well. Marshall was right by her side as they discussed what could be done.

"No matter what they won't be allowed to take the kids to the prison," Paul said, verifying what they already thought.
"They have never even been around Axel and barely around Chloe," Becca said.
"Both kids have your last name?" Mr. Andrews asked.
"Yes. Jesse isn't even on their birth certificates. There is no father listed on them."

He nodded. That was going to help them a lot. It was Jesse's parents suing for grandparents rights. Becca shook her head.

"They have never even met either kid ever," she said.
"This all helps our case," Mr. Andrews said.
"They wanted nothing to do with us when they heard I was pregnant. They told us to abort her. The only good thing about Jesse was that he was excited to have that title of dad."

Marshall leaned back in his chair. He was thankful that his sister didn't have an abortion with either kid. He loved his niece and nephew. Granted he didn't want any more kids of his own but he could spoil them any time he wanted. They spent majority of the day going over what they needed to file in return. Becca looked at her brother.

"We got this," he said.

She nodded. He sighed. He knew that she was worried. It had been an exhausting almost year that all the Jesse mess had been happening. He had murdered that girl a year ago. Axel was already six months old. Chloe was turning three in a week. It was all getting to be too much for Becca. She walked out of the lawyer meeting and scheduled a quick appointment with her therapist. She was going to need it.

"Becca," Marshall stepped into the office.

She held up a finger while she finished with the scheduler. Once she hung up, she looked at her brother.

"The walls were closing in on me," she said.
"I'm sorry," he replied.
"It isn't your fault. I honestly should have never gotten involved with Jesse in the first place. The only good things that came from it are Chloe and Axel. I love my children and I will never apologize to them. I just don't want to let them down."
"You won't Becs, you will get thru this mess."

The tears rolled down her face. She was so tired of crying over the whole thing.

"Look at me Rebecca," Marshall said sternly.

She looked up at her older brother.

"We ain't going down without a fight. I promise you," he said.

She nodded. She knew he was right but things were so chaotic that she just didn't see it happening. He hugged her tightly. This was his baby sister and if he could stop any ounce of pain that she felt, he would do it.

"I got your back and so does Nate," he said.

She nodded. He kissed the top of her head. She picked up the kids from daycare before heading home. She had gotten lucky and gotten an appointment with the therapist the next day. She was glad since this was so heavily weighing on her mind. She didn't sleep that night either.

Marshall took Chloe and Axel with him the next morning. She headed to her appointment.

"How are we today, Becca?" Staci asked.
"Not well. Everytime I think we are past everything with Jesse, something else pops up." Becca said.
"What do you mean?"
"He was harassing me to bring them to the prison to see him. Marshall helped me file a no contact order. He continued to contact me thru his sister Cathryn. She tried to kidnap Chloe a few weeks back. My brother kept that from happening. Now Jesse's parents are suing for visitation and grandparents rights."
"Wow, that is definitely a lot,"

Becca nodded. She didn't even want to think about it all.

"The no contact order keeps them from being allowed to take the kids to the prison but I don't think they will care and will take them anyway," she said.
"Really?" Staci asked.

Becca nodded. She didn't put anything past those people. She didn't want Chloe to be traumatized with having to see Jesse again. He had given her nightmares. He was not a good man at all. Chloe was so sensitive anyway.

"He isn't on either birth certificate and his family has never met them. Chloe turns 3 in a week. She doesn't know any of his family," Becca said.
"Have you ever met his family?" Staci asked.

Flashback

Jesse walked Becca into his mother's house. They were there to tell them about the baby. Jesse's mother was indifferent about them even dating. She looked over at them.

"Hey son," she smiled.
"Mama, we have news for you," he said.
"What's that?"
"Becca and I are having a baby."

His mother's entire demeanor changed and she began to cuss him out. He stared at her for a minute.

"Thought you would be happy for me, ma" he said.
"Get rid of it before you ruin your lives, Jesse," his mother snapped.

His father wasn't much better. It had left Becca in tears.

"Quit your damn crying," Jesse snapped on the way home.

Becca had to dry it up quickly. He was more cautious about where he hit her, but he still hit her when she annoyed him.

End

Becca sat there completely unable to believe that this had happened at all. It was clear someone else was pulling the strings. His parents had never wanted anything to do with Chloe after they found out about her. She sighed heavily.