Chapter 6

Becca and Skylar were becoming close friends. Becca still hadn't opened up about what had happened with Jesse to anyone. Marshall sighed heavily as he walked into the studio with his now four month old nephew in his arm. It was hilarious to him to watch the office staff swoon over the sight of him carrying a baby. Becca walked up behind him.

"You are causing ovaries to burst everywhere," she laughed.
"Can't help it that I am hot," he replied.
"Eww."

He cracked up laughing. Axel stared up at him. The little boy was really developing a little personality. It reminded Marshall of when Becca was little.

"Bet you can't wait to be a grandpa, huh?" Becca asked.
"Bite your tongue," he scolded.
"You pretty much already are a grandpa since you pretty much raised me and Nate. We both have kids."
"Shut up Becca."

She laughed.

Flashback

Becca ran to him after school. She had just started kindergarten this year. He and Kim usually picked her and Nate up from school when Kim wasn't being a bitch. Kim and her sister Dawn had moved in with them in 1989 when she and Marshall had started dating. It had been about two years now. Becca was glad that even with the girls being around, he still made time for her. Today it was just Marshall picking her and Nate up. She threw her arms around her big brother's neck.

"Hey beautiful, how was school?" he asked.
"Good. I made you a picture," she said.
"Awesome, you can show me when we get home."
"Ok."

He stood up with her in his arms. Nate came running out. They headed to the house. Kim was laying on the couch when they arrived. She was whining about not feeling good and wanting Marshall to take care of her. He glanced at her and rolled his eyes. They had gotten in an argument that morning over him helping Becca with her shoes. It was dumb stuff that Kim picked fights over.

"Go get a snack," he told Becca and Nate.

They went to the kitchen. He looked at his girlfriend.

"Marshall," she whined.
"Are you over your attitude?" he asked.
"Baby, I don't feel good."
"You were fine this morning when you were up my ass about helping Becca."

Kim made a face. She didn't want to admit she was jealous of a five-year-old little girl. Marshall looked at her. She pouted at him.

End

"Hey Marshall, does Kim know I am staying with you?" Becca asked.
"It ain't her business. My house my rules but I am sure one of the girls have told her by now." he replied.
"Oh."
"Why?"
"She has never liked me."
"She was jealous of you. Because more often than not back then I would have rather spent my time with you and Nate than her whiny ass."

Becca chuckled. He looked at his little sister.

"Besides the fact, we ain't together," he said.
"You ain't?" she asked him.
"Nah, haven't been together since 2006 but we sometimes do things together for the kids."

Becca made a face. Marshall laughed at her. She had never been Kim's biggest fan. Nate couldn't stand her either. It was crazy to him how much his siblings hated her.

"Why don't y'all like her?" he asked.
"She never liked us and she was nasty to us when you weren't paying attention. I am still convinced she is the reason we were taken from mom," she said.
"Nah, that was because of how she treated Nate and the school found out about it."
"She was still nasty to us when you weren't around."

Marshall nodded.

Flashback

Becca sat at the table coloring. Marshall had gone to work. Kim came in and sat on one side of her while Dawn was on the other.

"I am making your brother get us an apartment" Kim bragged.

Six-year-old Becca looked up at her for a moment. Kim glared at her. Dawn looked curious for a second.

"How are you getting him to do that?" she asked.
"I am gonna tell him, that I am pregnant and we need our own space for the baby," Kim replied.
"You think he will leave them?"
"He won't have a choice. Our baby will need him more than these brats."

End

"She almost had us hating Hailie when she was born. I know that first time she wasn't pregnant but she said shit like that all the time," Becca said.
"I wish I had known then," he said.
"Marshall if it wasn't for her, as much as I can't stand her, you wouldn't have the girls and I love those girls."

He nodded. He knew what she meant, it just upset him to hear how she was toward his brother and sister. He had never wanted them to feel rejection from him the way they all felt it from their fathers. Becca didn't even know who her dad was. He had been some one night stand after Nate was born.