Chapter 9

Becca met up with Nathan the next day at Gilberts. She smiled when she walked in and saw him. He stood up to hug her.

"You doing ok?" he asked.
"Yeah, he was just a jerk," she replied.
"Sounds like it. Where are the babies?"
"Daycare at the studio."

He nodded. They ordered food which didn't take long as they always ordered the same thing from here. She sighed as she leaned back in the booth.

"So how's it going living with Marshall?" he asked.
"Its good, he spoils Chloe like no tomorrow and Axel prefers him over me," she said.
"Well that sucks."
"Yeah it does,"
"You like working at the studio?"
"It's good. Just like being home. Gotta keep Marshall out of trouble."
"That's a big job."

She laughed.

"It always has been," she said.

He nodded. She sighed.

"At least he is sober now though," she said.
"Yeah, what about you?" Nate asked.
"Since I got pregnant with Chloe. Jesse never got clean though."
"At least one of you did."
"I had to. She didn't deserve all that. She is a sweet kid. Always has been. She just has my attitude."

Nathan chuckled. Becca had the tendency to hold grudges. Chloe was the exact same way. She was warming up to everyone but Nathan. He was looking for ways to get on his nieces good side.

"So how do I get the kid to like me?" he asked.
"She will warm up the more you are around and she knows that you and I are ok," Becca replied.
"Think so?"

Becca nodded. Nathan sighed.

"Ash wants y'all to come to dinner next week," he said.
"All right," she grinned.

After lunch, Becca gave her big brother a hug and headed off to work again. He headed back to the house. Becca walked into the studio daycare to get Axel. He was asleep. She smiled.

"We can bring him to you or call your office when he wakes up," Stephanie said.
"Are you sure?" Becca asked.
"Sure. He is so sweet."
"Thank you. How is Chloe doing today?"
"She has been a bit ornery today."
"She knew I was going to lunch with her uncle Nate today. She isn't his biggest fan."

Stephanie nodded. Becca headed back up to her office. She text Marshall that she was back. She knew he would ignore it if he was busy in the booth. She went over everything on her desk for his next few weeks.

Once her day was done, she picked up her kids and headed back to the house.

"Chloe," she said.
"Huh?" the little girl was staring out the window.
"Were you being naughty at daycare today?"
"I got a time out."
"Why were you being naughty?"
"No uncle Nate."
"Chloe, Uncle Nate is a good guy. He loves you and it hurts his feelings that you don't like him."
"He mean."
"He is not mean. He and mommy had a disagreement. It happens sometimes but we are ok. He loves us just like Uncle Marshall does."
"No mama."
"Chloe Jolene Mathers, I have heard enough of all this now. I don't like when you behave like this. We do not misbehave in daycare and we are going to stop being mad about Uncle Nate."

Becca pulled into the driveway. She took both kids from the back and into the house. Chloe was pouting. Becca sighed as she started on dinner. Chloe sat at the table not eating. Marshall walked in the door. Chloe slid from her seat and ran to him. He scooped her up.

"What's wrong princess?" he asked.
"Mama's mean," Chloe whined.

Becca walked over to her brother, pulled her daughter from his arms, and set her on her feet.

"Go to your room, now," Becca told her daughter.

Chloe stomped her feet and began to scream. Becca knelt in front of the child.

"You either go to your room on your own or I will help you go to your room but you will be going to your room," she said.

Marshall let his sister handle it. Chloe ran off for the stairs. Marshall looked at Becca.

"What was that about?" he asked.
"She is being a brat," Becca replied.
"I see that, but why?"
"She is mad I met Nathan for lunch today. She is still mad at him for Thanksgiving."
"She is just like you. Grudge holder."

Becca nodded. There was no use in denying it. She had been like that as a kid but the things she had been thru had taught her that it wasn't worth it to hold a grudge.

She just wasn't going to give in to her daughter's behavior. She understood where Nate's head was at the day he saw her and she wasn't angry about it.

"You know it all comes from the way Jesse treated you," Marshall said.
"I know," Becca replied.
"She will move past it."
"Ash wants us all over for dinner next week. Maybe that will help."

Marshall shrugged. It really couldn't hurt anything.