Chapter 18

Becca had done a lot of soul searching since the custody trial. She walked into Marshall's home studio. He was sitting on the couch with headphones on and trying to focus on his lyrics. She sat down on the couch next to him and reached for the headphones. He jumped slightly startled. She giggled.

"Jesus, Becca," he said.
"Sorry," she replied.
"What's up?"
"I just wanted to say thank you."
"For what?"
"Always being the best big brother you could be."
"I wasn't the best big brother. I let you down."

Becca shook her head hard.

"Marshall, you did what you could with the information you had. You have always been there for me. You stopped me from going completely crazy. I wasn't sure I could raise Chloe or Axel alone and you showed me I can. You have done amazing with your own girls and stepped into a role that a lot of people wouldn't. I know that dating with two kids is going to be tough but because of you I have faith that there are men out there who won't care that I am a single mom." she said.

Marshall sat there, thinking on his own life. Things hadn't always been easy but he loved his girls. He had quickly grown attached to Whitney regardless of who her biological father was. He could only hope that Becca found someone like that for her and the kids.

"You got this Becca," he said.
"It's just hard to keep from finding someone who will take advantage of the situation," she replied.
"Never know unless you try."

She nodded. She worried about her kids a lot more than people thought she did.

"It will be all right. You don't have to introduce them right away. Get a feel for him and then when the time is right and it's going to stick then introduce them," Marshall said, reading her mind.

She nodded. He pulled her into a hug. She snuggled into her brother's warm embrace. He kissed the top of her head.

"I love you big brother," she said.
"I love you too," he replied.

Becca sighed.

"You got anyone you been looking at lately?" he asked.

She shook her head. He nodded.

"Hailie and Alaina want me to go out with them tomorrow night," she said.
"I didn't even know they were in town," he said.

She nodded against his shoulder.

"I can keep the monsters for you," he said.
"All right. I appreciate it. I don't want to feel like I am always taking advantage of you," she replied.
"As long as I know the three of you are safe, then I'm ok," he said.
"Evan is coming with us."

Marshall nodded. She kissed his cheek before going to decide what to wear.

The next night, she fed her kids and got Axel down for the night. She got ready to head out with her nieces. She was excited about this. She could go out without getting completely smashed and acting a fool.

"Ready?" Hailie asked.

Becca nodded. They headed out of the house. Becca grinned as they walked into the club.

She was having a good time when a guy came up behind her by the bar. He put a hand on the small of her back as she almost walked into him.

"I am so sorry," she said sheepishly.
"It's all right," he smiled.

She started to walk away.

"Hey, what's your name?" the guy asked.
"Rebecca," she replied.
"Well Rebecca, I am Shawn."
"Nice to meet you."

They wound up hanging out for the night. When Hailie spotted them, she sent Becca a thumbs up. Becca chuckled at her niece. Shawn was interesting and he was gorgeous.

"Who is that?" Shawn asked.
"My niece," Becca laughed.
"She looking out for you?"
"Something like that."
"Always good to have someone looking out for you."

Becca nodded. Before she left the club that night, she and Shawn had exchanged numbers. He was a year older than her. He seemed like a good guy.

They spent the next two weeks texting each other. She loaded up Chloe and Axel to go to Nathan's for a cookout. She carried Axel in the house. She was stunned to see Shawn in her brother's kitchen.

"What are you doing here?" they both asked at the same time.
"Becs," Nathan grinned, "What up Shawn?"
"You know him?" Becca asked.
"Yeah why? Known him for years."
"He is the guy from the club the other night."
"No shit,"
"How do you know her?" Shawn asked.
"She is my sister," Nate said.

They just stared at each other. She had been up front and honest about having Chloe and Axel. Shawn stared at her for a minute.