Chapter 22

"Babe, let's grab something to eat before going back to your brother's," Shawn said on the drive back from the prison. 

Becca nodded slightly. She was emotionally exhausted from the visit and wasn't sure how to handle it now. Shawn could see it as he glanced at her during the drive. He didn't want to take her back to the kids before he knew that she was going to be all right. They went to a simple restaurant. She remained quiet. 

"Becca, talk to me," he said. 

"I just feel free finally. I don't know how to deal with it. I mean he has been in prison for months now, but I just feel like I am finally free of him even with agreeing to update him on the kids," she said softly. 

"It's what you wanted isn't it?"

"It's exactly what I wanted and I am so thankful for it but now I don't know how to react to it. I mean I don't have to feel guilty if the kids ever call you dad. It is incredible. I mean I can fully give myself to you and not feel like he is going to come bursting in a door."

Shawn nodded. He understood where she was coming from. He was glad that they could really see where this was going to go. His son was still bugging him about meeting her and the kids. 

"Chris wants to meet you three," he said. 

"He does?" she asked, surprised. 

"Yeah, he has been bugging me for weeks now."

She nodded. They spent the rest of their meal coming up with a day to introduce them all. She was excited about it. She really was falling for Shawn. He never tried to leave regardless of the drama in her life. They walked out to the car. 

"Ready to go home now?" he asked. 

She nodded, ready to get back to her babies. It had been a day and she was ready to go to bed. 

"Tired?" he asked, as she yawned in the passenger seat. 

She nodded. He smiled and drove the rest of the way to Marshall's house. They walked in the door together. Chloe ran to them as soon as they entered. She jumped into Shawn's arms and hugged him around the neck. Becca couldn't help but smile as she watched her boyfriend with her little girl. Shawn hugged the small child back as Marshall entered the foyer with Axel in his arms. He handed the little boy off to his sister. She smiled. 

"How did it go?" he asked. 

"It went way better than I thought it would. I had to promise to drop the protective orders and give him random updates on their lives, but he seems to realize that he screwed up. I guess he is seeing a therapist," she said. 

"He didn't try to come at you crazy?"

"Nah, man. He asked me to take care of them like he didn't." Shawn said. 

"Mama, where did you go?" Chloe asked, innocently. 

"We went to see your daddy," 

Chloe's little face froze and a panic began in her eyes. Becca handed Axel back to her brother to take her daughter from Shawn. 

"Listen to me, baby girl, he isn't going to hurt us anymore. He will never come out of his timeout, I promise and you will never have to see him again," she said. 

"Mama, why?" Chloe asked. 

"Mama had to so we can have our best life with Shawn and everyone else."

Chloe was only three but she remembered everything Jesse had done and was completely terrified of him. Becca hugged her little girl close and looked at Shawn. He moved in and put his arms around her and Chloe. Marshall just watched the three of them. Chloe looked up at Shawn. 

"You no leave," she said. 

"I won't leave you guys," Shawn promised. 

It worried Becca as he made the promise to her daughter. She glanced at her brother who just gave her a smirk as he shifted the baby in his arms. She looked back at Shawn. He pressed a kiss to her lips as she stared at him. Her eyes closed instantly. She melted into his touch. Chloe squirmed to get away from them. Becca set her daughter down as Shawn's arms went around her waist. 

"All right you two. I ain't trying to watch you suck face in my doorway," Marshall said, breaking them apart. 

Becca chuckled. Shawn was everything she had ever wanted in life. He was kind and gentle. He had a lot of love to give and he had chosen her to give it to. She gently played with his hair at the back of his neck. He shivered under her touch. She glanced at her brother for a moment. He waved her off and took the two kids from the room. She moved to press her lips back to Shawn's. He tangled his hands in her hair as he deepened the kiss. 

When they broke apart, they were both breathing heavily. She stared up at him with a small smile on her face. He grinned. 

"I'm falling for you," she whispered. 

"Good, cuz I am too," he replied.