Chapter 31

AN: This chapter talks about child abuse.

Becca woke up to another routine day. She got the kids up and ready to go. Shawn had breakfast ready to go so they all are before leaving the house.

She dropped the kids off in daycare before going to her office. She looked up as Skylar walked in.

"Hey," Becca smiled.

"Hey," Skylar grinned.

"What's up?"

"Heard you moved out of big brother's place."

"Yeah the kids and I just moved into a new house with Shawn."

"So that's going well?"

Becca nodded. She really loved Shawn. He took care of her and the kids. Her daughter absolutely adored the man and he was the only father that her son knew.

"That's awesome. How is Marshall handling the changes?" Skylar asked.

"I haven't seen him today honestly," Becca replied.

Skylar nodded. She worried about Marshall and thinking that leaving left him lonely gave her anxiety. She loved her big brother. He had always been there for her.

Flashback

Becca ran down the hall to her brother's room. Marshall wasn't home yet but she was gonna hide out in there anyway. He had gotten a job and was still at work. She curled up in a ball on his bed. She was asleep when he came home. He didn't even bother to take her back to her room. He just collapsed in bed and went to sleep. She snuggled into him just before he was completely out and he knew something was wrong. He wasn't going to wake her to find out.

When he woke up the next morning she was on his floor coloring. Nate was by her side. He looked at the two of them.

"Whatcha doing?" he asked.

"Coloring," Nate answered.

Becca stayed quiet. Marshall stared at her for a minute.

"Becca, what happened?" he asked.

"Huh?" she asked.

"Why were you in my room last night?"

"Had a bad dream."

"Gonna tell me about it?"

" I don't remember."

"Rebecca."

"No bubby please."

He sighed heavily. She didn't want to tell him with Nate in the room. He had to get her to tell him though. He reached down to stop her from coloring for the moment. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

"Nate, go grab something to eat," he said.

"But I'm not hungry." Nate argued.

"Just go do it. Please?"

Nate grumbled about it but left the room. Marshall turned his attention back to Rebecca.

"Tell me," he said.

"Mom brought a guy home. He came in my room," she began to cry.

Marshall pulled Becca up off the floor and held her close to him. He knew the guy was still there and he was going to confront him. He kissed the top of his baby sisters head and got up. He stormed down the hall.

"Marshall, what's wrong?" Debbie asked him.

Marshall didn't say a word as he lunged at the man that his mother had brought home the night before. Chaos ensued in the house. Marshall punched the man in the face. Debbie was screaming at him. Rebecca was begging him to stop and Nate was standing against the wall with his hands over his ears. The man threw Marshall into the wall making Becca scream. She hid under the table and pulled Nate down with her. He threw one arm across her and they huddled together. The man finally stormed out of the house and Debbie ran after him.

"Nate, Becca, it's all right. Come out now," Marshall said.

The two crawled out from under the table. Becca launched herself into her big brother's arms. Marshall held her tightly. Nate was wide-eyed. Marshall pulled him into the hug with Rebecca.

"I always got you both. I promise," he told them.

Debbie came back inside. She looked pissed. Marshall stared at her.

"Why the hell would you do that?" she demanded. "He was ready to take us away from this hell hole."

"Yeah so he could keep putting his hands on Becca," Marshall growled.

"Is that what that little bitch told you?"

"Ma, put her first for once. Damn,"

Debbie glared at her daughter. She threw Marshall out of the house that evening and then promptly left Becca and Nate home alone to go to Bingo. It wasn't long after that night that CPS stepped in and took both Becca and Nate away from their mother.

End

"I just want my brother happy," Becca said.

"I am happy," Marshall said entering her office.

She stood up to hug him. He glanced at Skylar for a minute. She smiled and gave them some time alone.

"What's wrong Becs?" he asked.

"Nothing, I just feel bad leaving you all alone like that," Rebecca said.

"I'm fine. I promise."

"I love you big brother."

"I love you too."

Becca smiled. Marshall kissed the top of her head just like he always did when she was a kid. The bond between the three siblings was a strong one because they could really only depend on each other growing up.

"By the way, Sarah called," she said.

"For what now?" he asked.

"She wants to meet you."

He rolled his eyes. He had no desire to meet the two children that his biological father had actually raised. He wasn't ready to hear them speak about what a great dad he was to them since he had walked out on Marshall.

"What did you tell her?" he asked.

"You weren't interested," she replied.

"Good."

"I guess."

"What?"

"I just sometimes wonder if I have any other siblings out there."

"I wouldn't doubt it."

Becca nodded. Marshall sat down in her office.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Nothing," she said.

"Becca, that wasn't a nothing question nor a response."

"I was just thinking about all those guys that mom brought home and how you always tried to protect me."

He nodded slowly. She sighed.

"I can never repay you for everything you have done for me," she said.

"You are my baby sister. Practically my damn kid. I love you," he said.

"Love you too."

He got up and walked over to hug her before leaving the office. Becca got back to work on her reports for the week.