Chapter 5

Becca had been working for Marshall for about three months now. She actually enjoyed it. Her brother and his friends were entertaining. He walked into her office. Axel was asleep in the pack n play. She was working on an expense report for his last album. He sat on the couch in the room.

"What's up?" she asked.
"Just checking in. Seeing how you like the job," he said.
"Its cool,"
"Yeah?"
"Yeah other than seeing your ugly mug every day."

He rolled his eyes at her. She smiled sweetly at him.

"Still annoying as ever," he said.
"Would you have me any other way big brother?" she asked.
"Of course not."
"Ok then."

Marshall laughed.

Flashback

Marshall walked into the trailer. Becca was screaming, Nathan was yelling and their mom was passed out on the couch.

"Damnit mom," he swore quietly.

He scooped Becca up. She was soaked and hungry. He moved back to the bedroom. He changed her diaper and went in search of clean clothes for her.

"Nate, come here," he called to the one year old, figuring he was going to need a diaper change as well.

He managed to find a clean outfit for the three month old. He dressed her quickly and moved to change Nate too. He took them both to the kitchen. He found something to feed Nate and made Becca a bottle.

"What are you doing here?" his mother's voice came from the couch.
"Apparently taking care of Nate and Becca," he replied.
"They are fine."
"Both just had nasty diapers and Becca's clothes were soaked."
"I raised you didn't I?"
"Barely."
"Why are you so ungrateful?"
"I'm not Ma."

She rolled her eyes at him. He finished with Becca's bottle and burped her. She had been so hungry and sucked down the bottle so fast that she spit a lot of it back up. He sighed.

"Gross Becs," he chuckled.

He promised to always be there for his siblings. They needed him since his mom had basically checked out for them both.

End

"Hey Marshall," Becca brought him back to reality.
"What?" he asked.
"Do you think mom checked out so bad because of me?"
"No, mom checked out cuz she sucked as a parent."

She nodded. She had been terrified when Chloe was born that she was going to be a shitty parent like her mother had been to her. It all changed the moment that the little girl was in her arms.

"Why do you ask?" he asked her.
"I wanted so bad to call you guys while I was pregnant with Chloe. I didn't want to be her," she said.
"Becs, you could have called me."
"I know that now."

Marshall looked at Axel. The little boy was filling out nicely and becoming a chunk. Becca was a damn good mom in his eyes.

Flashback

Becca lay in the hospital room. Jesse was off doing who knows what or who. She was in labor and her child's father was nowhere to be found. She had tried to call him. He didn't answer. She had gotten a ride to the hospital from his friend Sam. Now she was in the room alone and all she wanted was her big brothers. She wanted Marshall to make it all better like he always did. She had been having nightmares lately about being her mother.

"All right Rebecca, it's time to push this little one out," the nurse stated.

Becca nodded as the tears rolled down her face. She was scared and there was no one there that she knew. She hadn't even attempted to call Nathan's phone after she knew he changed his number.

She had tried Marshall's phone but his number had changed as well. It had only added to her fears and frustrations that her brother's had completely written her off. It never even crossed her mind to call Paul or Denaun's phone.

End

"Why didn't you call Paul?" he asked.
"I don't know. I was scared you didn't want anything to do with me like Nate didn't," she said.

She was still in therapy.

"Hey can you watch the kids for me tomorrow?" she asked.
"Yeah why?" he asked.
"Skylar wants to go to lunch."
"All right."

He was glad that she was allowing people in. She needed that to be able get over everything Jesse had done to her. He had been pissed when he received the no contact order. He had blown up Paul's phone and attempted legal action to be able to see the kids. It hadn't worked so far. Marshall watched his nephew begin to squirm in the pack n play. She looked over at him.

"He is gonna be up shortly," she sighed.

Marshall nodded. He headed out of her office so she could get some work done.