Chapter 46

When they returned to Detroit after their week of vacation, Becca took Chris to lunch. She had talked to both Melinda and Shawn before deciding to take him. Chris was happy to go to lunch with his new stepmother. She let him pick the restaurant. They were sitting at the table after ordering. 

"What's up?" he asked, knowing she had brought him for a reason.

"I wanted to just see how you were feeling about all these changes going on in your life," she said. 

"What do you mean?"

"Well your dad got married and now we're having a baby. He's also adopting Chloe and Axel to make them your official siblings."

"I am good with that all. My mom remarried already and I have other siblings so this is nothing. I am excited to meet the new baby. You and my dad deserve to be happy. I have never seen him as happy as he is with you."

Becca smiled. Chris grinned. He was happy that they were all one big family. Becca was glad that they got along with Melinda and her husband. It made everything easier on Chris to go between houses when they got along. He smiled. 

Becca had to write Jesse to let him know what was going on with the adoption as well. She had found an attorney to handle it, but they had to find an agency to handle the home visits and things that still had to happen. She had promised to keep him updated on everything so he wasn't stunned about it. 

Jesse, 

I found an attorney to handle the adoption. The kids are super excited about the wedding and they had a lot of fun. I have sent you a few photos of them from the big day. We have some other news that will be arriving in about eight months. Shawn is so excited about it. I am glad that we are able to keep in contact without any animosity. The kids deserve so much in life and they are doing so well. They are growing like crazy and learning so many new things. Axel never ceases to amaze me every day. He's beginning to talk more. Chloe is going to be starting school soon. I can't believe she's going to be going to preschool already. It's crazy how quickly the time goes by. 

Becca

Shawn walked in the door as she was finishing up the letter. He glanced at his wife and smiled. It was still crazy to think that she was officially his. He kissed her lips. 

"What's going on babe?" he asked. 

"Letting Jesse know that we have an attorney for the adoption," she said. 

"Good, how was lunch with Chris?"

"It was great. I just wanted to see where he was at with everything going on and he's thrilled about it all. I was surprised really."

"I'm not, he's a great kid and he loves Chloe and Axel."

"He is a great kid. You and Melinda have done amazing with him."

"It's all about putting him first."

She nodded. She knew that was the best thing for him. Chloe came running into the room with her brother not far behind her. Becca was stunned to think about her little girl heading off to school soon. She would start school as Chloe Mathers but that would hopefully change so that she matched her mom before the new baby arrived. Chloe was still dead set on wanting a sister. 

"Mama, when can I go to school like bubby Chris?" Chloe asked. 

"You will go to school in the fall baby girl," Becca replied. 

"When's the fall?"

Becca chuckled. Chloe was now four and missed the cut off to go to kindergarten by the time she would be five so she had an extra year to wait before going. Becca wasn't complaining because she wasn't ready for Chloe to go off to school all day. Preschool was in the elementary school so she would start to get the feel for it, but would only go half a day. 

Becca and Shawn felt it was a good transition for the little girl rather than to just throw her into a full school day. She was super excited about it anyway. Axel had just turned two and was turning into a little wild child. He was beginning to talk more every day. 

"Mama, yum yum," Axel said. 

"Hungry babe?" Becca chuckled. 

She went into the kitchen and began to make dinner. Axel stayed in the living room with Shawn. 

"Mama," Chloe said. 

"What?" Becca glanced at her. 

"What's for dinner?"

"Food."

"Mama."

Becca chuckled at her daughter. 

"Chicken, mashed potatoes, and carrots," Becca said. 

"With gravy?" Chloe asked.

"Yeah baby, I'll make some gravy."

"Thanks mama."

Chloe ran out of the kitchen. Becca shook her head. She was working on dinner when the phone rang. She glanced over. It stopped ringing after a few times which led her to believe that Shawn had picked it up. She was proven right when he came into the kitchen with the phone in his hand. 

"It's your brother," he said. 

She took the phone from him and put it on speakerphone. 

"What's up?" she asked. 

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I got a phone call today for you," Marshall said. 

"From who?" 

"The attorney that dealt with Jesse's case."

"Why did they call you?"

"I don't know. But he apparently reached out to them to have them call you."

"Why?"

"You're his emergency contact?"

"No, he was supposed to change that."

"Well he hasn't I guess."

"Fine, whatever. What's going on?"

"He was apparently stabbed tonight. I don't know if someone found out his charges or if he was wrong place wrong time. He's in the infirmary there. They are going to reach out to his family as well."

"Oh wow. Umm, can they just keep me updated? I'm not going to go up there or anything."

"I have the attorney's number for you. She wants you to call her."

"All right."

She looked at Shawn. He looked shocked.