Christmas

Lily's POV

The giant trees surround the castle in every room. Everyone is leaving for winter break.

I decided to stay because I didn't need Petunia ruining the holidays. I said goodbye to Alice the others twenty minutes before.

I watch the snow fall in large tufts. The red train seems almost enchanted. The herds of people rush towards the train waving and cheering.

Why they would ever want to leave is beyond me. This place is full of mysteries and amazing things we can't do in the real world. It's so fantastic I can't even-

"Day dreaming, Evans?"

I stand up quickly to see James Potter smirking at me with his hands behind his back. "Happy Christmas, Potter. I didn't know you were staying."

He looks down at his toes. He says in a timid voice, "Last minute change of plans. Anyway, I got you something."

"What? It better not be a prank or something or I swear I will hex the pants off-"

"You wanna see?"

I look at him with curiosity. He brings his hands from behind his back to reveal a small velvet box. The box has a heart shaped buckle that he clicks to open it.

Gently, I take it from his hands. Inside is a single emerald gem with sliver prongs, antlers, sticking from it. The antlers end at a small chain necklace.

A small gasp escapes my mouth. I whisper, "James this is beautiful. This must've cost you a fortune, I can't accept it."

He smiles, "You really like it huh? I saw it a couple weeks ago in a little shop in Hogsmeade, the same weekend you declined coming with me. And I thought about how brilliant it would look with your eyes and I could resist."

I laugh. His ramblings are strangely a little more cute than annoying, especially next to the blazing fire and the snow falling outside.

I put the box on the back of the chair I was sitting in and grab each end of the magnificent necklace. James asks politely, "Can I?"

With a nod and a quick blush James takes the necklace and moves behind my back. He brushes my hair out of the way making chills go up and down my spine. The necklace is cool against my collar bone.

The silence is deafening. His knuckles brush my neck as he closes the clasp. I can't breath when  his hands are touching me.

"It looks brilliant," he whispers.

"Thank you," I breathe finally. 

He looks down fast, pushing up his glasses. I realize with a drop, "I didn't get you anything!" 

He laughs, "Of course you didn't. It's okay, really, don't worry about it." But before he finishes I am turning and scurrying up the stairs, "Wait! I have something. Stay there Potter!" 

I rush back down the stairs and the cool necklace bounces against my chest. He is still standing right where I left him, his button down untucked on one side and his hair tousled. I hold out a small leather wristwatch to him. 

"My Dad gave it to me before I left but it's too big for me," I explain quickly. 

He holds it so delicately. "It's perfect, Lily." The way he says my name makes me melt a little. His tongue rolling the L's and the way he says it like a promise. 

Silently I fasten it around his wrist and my fingertips brush the inside of his hands. My breath is stolen again. 

"Lily?" He asks. My name in his mouth is sweeter than any candy and more soothing than any lullaby. I want to lift my chin just slightly and have him say it on my tongue. But I step back. 

"James- I- I am sorry," I exhale. "I can't do this right now. I can't be with someone right now. I am too busy and I am too confused by myself as it is." 

He nods, twisting his watch. "Well," he speaks slowly and deliberately, "If you ever have any time, I will always be waiting for you. I am quite patient." 

I laugh a little, my hand absently fiddling with the necklace. 

"Lily?" 

"Yes, James?" 

"Can I sit with you?" 

I can't help it when my face molds into a beaming smile. "Of course." I turn to hide the ray of sunlight shining from my chest and the butterflies fluttering in my stomach. 

"Want some tea?" 

James POV

Dear Mum,

I decided at the last minute to stay over the holidays at Hogwarts. Sorry for the short notice.

Your favorite,

James