Too Long After

He walked with his books through the crisp autumn air. His long hair blew behind him. He hunched his shoulders, wishing to float away in the wind.

That was his first mistake.

I jogged up to him with a smug smile on my face. "'ello Snivellus." I swung my arm around him. I put pressure on his shoulders, I always began with intimidation.

He shrugged me off and walked faster away from me. Fear and anger mixed in his eyes.

That was his second mistake.

"Let's play a little game, Snivellus," I demanded. I grabbed his arm and pushed him behind a tree. His books scattered in the dirt. He shoved his hands in his pockets and looked at his shoes.

I circled my prey. "The game is called Catch the Asshole." He grumbled, looking up at me, "Who's throwing you?"

Anger flared in my nostrils and I stepped forward, "Watch your mouth."

"C'mon James, let's play!" Sirius calls from behind me. I smiles and pointed my wand at the creep. Panic set in his eyes.

"Wingardium leviosa," I hissed. He floated off the groud. He spun upside down. I laughed. Simpathy had drained from me. We all laughed and laughed.

"James! Potter! What the hell are you doing you foul loathsome cocroach! Put him down right now or I swear to my father's grave I will slip you liquid death in your pumpkin juice!"

I looked over the smile had been slicked from my face, but I still held up Snape.

It is only then I see Lily's magnificent face looking at me with a new air.

It's disgust.

I turned back to Snape. What am I doing? I thought. I put him back on the ground. My heart pounded. My body filled with shame and hatred.

I dropped my wand and sprinted as far from there as possible. As soon as I found the corner of the castle I collapsed with shame.

I was shaking so hard. I put my face in my hands. They cover my eyes, the eyes that ate up someone else's pain. I covered my mouth, the mouth that laughed at cruel behaviour. I bit my hands, trying to wish away the past

I had no excuse. My parents were so old it was their time. But that's no excuse for causing other people pain.

Slowly I looked at my shaking hands.

Who am I?

Too long after

Clunk clunk. My fist touches the door slightly. My hand shakes with the still fresh shame and sorrow.

He opens the door. His face curves downwards when he sees it is me. "Potter," he says bitterly.

I take a deep breath.

"Severus, You are braver than me. You are more deserving than me. And I would like to apologize."

He rolls his eyes and is about to close the door in my face.

"I am a complete and utter asshole."

Severus' face pauses. "Honestly, I was the worst type of person. I probably still am. You are an amazing person and I genuinely sorry for any pain, embarrasment, or resentment I have caused you."

He is silent for a long moment. He won't speak. I turn to leave. I step off his welcome mat before I hear something I wasn't expecting.

"James."

I turn around, delighted. Severus's outstretches his hand and offers me a hand shake.

I look down at it. I shake it thankfully. He smiles at me with pity. He says honestly.

"Fuck off."