42.

•••

•••

They drove quickly, trying to get to the tree before Limbrey was gone with the cross. "Guys we're coming up on Freedman's Church. The church Denmark built for all the slaves he freed."

They look at the church as they passed, the church was run down and looked like it could fall apart with one touch.

"There it is, Angel Oak." Kie said making the others look out the window. They all saw the tree, it standing out taller then the rest of the other trees.

Sage noticed the water in front of them, her nudging her brother who drove. "Oh shit- tides coming in."

"Hey wait a second- look." Pope stopped them, pointing to the track marks that went into the swampy water. "They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys we gotta go."

JJ hummed with fake doubt. "What do you think chief?" He asked John B.

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey." John B stated.

"I agree with that statement."

"Okay clearly they made it. No?" Kie questioned.

"In a two wheel drive?" JJ retorted, "I don't know about that."

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah asked in amusement. "Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

Sage smirked, "Case in point."

The two boys looked at the girls, then back at each other. They shrugged, "Okay speed is your friend here." JJ stated as they got ready.

"Yep."

"So put her down in second and hammer down brother." JJ instructed.

"Stick to the ground in the middle." Pope added.

"All right." John B said taking a deep breath, "Ready? Here we go."

Sage gripped onto JJs seat that was in front of her as her brother stepped onto the pedal full force. They sped into the muddy water.

"Punch it dude!" She told her brother.

"Speed is your friend!" JJ exclaimed, "You're not going fast enough!"

"I'm in second!" John B yelled back.

Kie looked around nervously, "It's gonna slide!"

Suddenly the car started to turn by itself, "Youre fishtailing already!" JJ told the boy.

"I know!" John B exclaimed as he got control of the car again.

Pope stuck his head in the front of the car, "Not to put any more pressure on you but if you don't make it through we'll be stuck here forever." He told John B.