Chapter one- Welcome to the Pogues

Sages POV

We're the Pogues, and our mission this summer, is to have a good time, all the time.

I sat next to JJ as my stupid brother, John B, balanced himself on the roof of a house that was under construction while drinking a beer.

"That's what a three-story fall to the deck?" Pope said looking up at John B holding a drill, "I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival." He stated.

"Should I do it?" John B asked the three out of his four friends.

"Yeah jump what's the worse that can happen?" I said then taking a sip of my beer. JJ nodded agreeing with me.

"I'll shoot you on the way down." Pope said aim the drill at John B.

"You'll shoot me?" John B asked pretending to shoot a gun with his hands.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kie said walking out to the deck.

"Oh course. Why wouldn't they?" JJ asked.

"This used to be a turtle habitat," Kie said a little frustrated.

"Who cares, screw the turtles." I said throwing my empty beer can to the ground.

"Can you please not kill yourself?" Kie asked looking up at John b who's was drinking his beer.

"No! Please let him!" I said with a smile, amused.

"Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one." JJ said as John B almost fell making him drop his beer.

"Of course you dropped it." I said to my brother as he yelled upset about his beer. "Idiot." I muttered making JJ nudge me with a grin on his face.

"Heard that." He said to me. I stuck my tongue out at him, making him do the same to me.

"Hey, Uh, security's here!" Pope said looking at the two security guards getting out of their car. "Let's wrap it up."

"The boys are early today!" John b stated as he started to get off the roof.

"Ok Humpty Dumpty let's roll!" JJ exclaimed helping me up as we start to make our way out of the house.

"Hey boys!" I yelled in a flirtatious way. "Gary did you lose weight?" I asked smirking at the security guard.

"Gary is that you! Didn't even recognize you!" Jj said laughing. "Good to see you man!" He said taunting the security guard.

"You two are just asking for it." Kie said as we took off running.

We laughed as we ran away from the two guards. Jj grabbed my hand and ran to the left. We were soon caught by Gary making us turn around and run the other way.

The other guard ran into JJ making me run a little bit ahead.

"Not much of hugger!" JJ call out grabbing my hand once again as we ran. "Go, Pope! Go! Go, go, go, go, go, go, go!" JJ yelled at the boy who was jumping the fence.

Jj boosted me up so I could get over. Stupid short height. I jumped over and fell. JJ soon joined me on the other side of the fence. He picked me up and threw me over his shoulders.

"JJ put me down!" I said laughing as he ran with me and sat me down in my brothers Volkswagen. JJ hopped in as he noticed Gary running after the car.

"Check out Gary, gunnin' for a raise." Pope said looking out the back window. Jj slide the car door open a bit holding a beer out.

"Hey! Come here boy! You're so close you can do it!" Jj said holding the beer out to Gary.

"Come on Gary!" I cheered joining JJ's shenanigans.

"There you go!" JJ yelled out throwing the beer to Gary. "They don't pay you enough bro!" He said as he sat back.

"JJ stop, stop!" Kie said even though she had a smile on her face.

"Oh come on! That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished!" JJ said laughing as we drove off.

We drove through our small island, Outer Banks. Paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island.

We passed by the rich side of the island, Figure Eight. Home of the Kooks. So guess we're we don't live?

We soon entered the south side, or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of drumroll please.....The Pogues. Yep. Home sweet home.

Oh by the way the Pogues, that's us. Pogues. Pogies, the throwaway fish. Lowest member of the food chain. Okay. So the downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. But the upside of Pogue life?

We're ignored at neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want. Let's go through the group, shall we?

Let's start with JJ, me and John Bs best friend since the third grade. He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. Best surfer I know. Mild Kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat. Also very cute just don't tell him I said that, he'll never let it go. And we have rules but I'll get to those later.

Then there's Kiara or Kie, my girl best friend. When she's not saving turtles or listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why though. She's a rich kid actually, so foot in both worlds. Her family owns The Wreck, this Outer Banks institution. Total cash cow with the tourists. Her parent like me, since I'm obviously amazing. But I'm not sure how her parents feel about the boys. I think the boys all have a thing for her.

Then there's Pope, the brains of the operation. Finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. And smartest person I know. Not gonna lie little bit of a weirdo. His father's this legendary character, Heyward. Anything you wanted on the island, Heyward could get for you. Now I'm not sure Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didn't matter. He was a Pogue, just like the rest of us.

Then finally, the stupidest guy I know, my twin brother John B. Older by two minutes. We live in an old fish shack on the marsh. The Chateau as our dad use to call it. Dad disappeared at sea nine months ago, looking for a shipwreck. My brother was a little bit more upset about that than I was, since he was closer to dad then me. And then there's mom. Who split when we were three. Last we heard she was in Colorado. I think. Uncle T was supposed to be taking care of us, but he's in Mississippi, building houses. So it's just us and our fellow Pogues. Three months after our dad went missing he was officially presumed dead. We refused to sign the papers. Till we see a body, we aren't giving up.

Oh I forgot to mention me. Not much to know. Johns younger twin sister, obviously. I work at The Wreck with Kie and her parents, keep food on the table. My brother works too, which helps. Uhh, what else is there? I have a mouth. You'll come to see that I say want I want to say and do what I want to do. Not really giving a shit. I'm very protective of my fellow Pogues. You mess with them you mess with me, and that's a mistake. See when you have 3 guy best friends who learn to fight. You can say I have a temper. For example, one day I could be best friends with JJ and the next day I want to punch him. But it's part of my daily life. Me and JJ have this weird thing. We definitely flirt with each other, no doubt. But obviously nothing happens cause of the rule. No Pogue on Pogue macking. A rule John b made up after I hit puberty. Talk about protective. Anyway it doesn't really matter cause the flirting is just fun in games. I think.

So there you have it. A Pogues life is a laid back life, mostly easy going. And summers just starting. This summers gonna be fun. Right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you liked this chapter. Just finished the show. They better have season two lol!