48.

•••

•••

"You seriously didn't grab nothing. Not one single gun?" JJ asked annoyed.

"We tr- we tried okay?" John B replied, "I got attacked."

"This is why we should've gone with." JJ stated as they started to argue.

"Let me get this straight." Cleo cut them off making Sage look at her. She sat right next to her, then getting aquatinted quickly. "You five, with no weapons, decided you were gonna hijack this tramp steamer on your own? Do you have any idea who these people are? Eberhimi? If he catch you, he's gonna kill you. Dead. Cut off your fingers."

"That's comforting thank you Cleo." Sage thanked the girl sarcastically.

"Okay what about waiting until we get to port?" Kie suggested, "At least then if something goes wrong we have a place to run."

"No, no, we can't do that." Pope replied.

"Why?"

"Because I've run the scenario over 1,000 times in my head." Pope stated, "And our best chances are on this ship. There's 15 crew members and 5 of us."

"Exactly." Kie said.

"Three to one odds!" Pope exclaimed, "Thats the best it'll get. We wait till we get there, they'll trap us."

"We have no chance." Kie told him.

"No Kie, there's something else." John B stopped her. He looked at his sister, a look on his face making her gut wrench.
.

"Wards alive."

Sage froze, everything that Ward has done flashing through her mind. Her grip on the box she sat on tighten, her moving her stare to the ground in disappointing shock.

"He's alive. And he's on this boat." John B told everyone.

"What?" Kie said as Sage put her head in her hands.

"Yeah."

"You gotta be kidding me." JJ sighed in anger.

"Are you serious?" Pope asked with dread.

"It was all a setup. Blowing up the boat, the confession to Shoupe. Think about it." John B said to them, "That was to clear Rafe's name. And he does what? Goes to the Druthers. And what's on the druthers?"

Sage lifted her head from her hands, leaning back again trying to understand the crushing reality.

"Scuba." She answered.

They all looked at her, "Why does she looked like she's about to stab someone." Cleo asked, eyeing the girl.

"Because she's probably thinking about killing Ward." Kie answered honestly, "Complicated past."