Chapter 39

Itsuki's POV

I stared at the cracked ceiling that was threatening to fall over me at any moment as dust poured over me. My legs and arms were numb, I can't even lift a finger. I could feel myself as cold as ice yet I couldn't feel the pain on my stomach that has been pierced with iron rods.

Moving my eyes to the side, I saw the child I saved kneeling, his glasses cloudy from the continuous crying over my body that was soon to be corpsed. I twitched a smile, one that I don't really usually show.

"Don't cry...", I whispered, my voice hoarse.

The boy's tears fell on my cheeks which rolled down on the dirty floor.

"Hic! B-but! Nii-chan! Yo-you're--", he stiffled another cry as snot run over his nose.

"You're a man...don't cry...", I let out a small gasp in between my sentence.

"Nii-chan!", he continued crying.

I just heaved a sigh until I heard the walls crumbling, my eyebrows were furrowed trying to get up only to fail.

'At this point we're both gonna die.'

"Udon...run...", I groaned.

He stopped weeping and looked at me, his eyes wide in shock, the life in them gone.

He shook his head frantically. "N-n-no! I won't leave you here someone's gonna save us! I'm sure. So don't tell me to go away--!"

"Just shut up and run!", I shouted, desperate to save this boy from being buried with me. I look to the other side, the small exit closing, being blocked by debris.

"NO! I don't want to! If I leave, you, you will die!"

'This brat.'

He was right. But, I don't want to let him die when he's just a kid, barely a ninja.

The wall crumbled beside us startling the two of us. At this point of time, I suddenly remembered something. "Udon, you have a dream right?"

He looked up at me and I smiled looking at the small light that was peeking out of a small hole.

"Y-yeah...", he wiped his tears, nodding. "I want to become a shinobi."

"Good. I'm jealous...you see I don't have a dream.", I start, he stopped hiccupping his breathing now calm.

"I want to become a shinobi who will protect his loved ones."

But, there is only one person who fits that loved one.

The ceiling above me cracked and I took this chance to rip away my own flesh just so I could push Udon away from me as blocks of debris fell upon me. I was trapped in the dark, without seeing, hearing nor feeling anything.

It didn't hurted the slightest bit that it felt strange to me.

When I opened my eyes, I stood surprised at the scenery infront of me. Stars filled the blue sky as I stood on top of the distilled water that revealed my reflection.