FOURTY FOUR

FOURTY - FOUR

 ❝The mind of a psychopath.

❞

─ ☆°•.¸☆¸.•°☆ ─

What went on in the mind of Rafe Cameron?

To say the least. A lot.

A lot of desperation, sadness, betrayal, anger, and the feeling of burden, pulling down everyone else with him. He was an anchor, a weighted lifeless being that constantly screwed up the impossible to screw up.

He was a disappointment, a mistake, a mere shadow in the distance that would always come second to his sister, Sarah. He was just Rafe. The fuck up. And then there was Ophelia.

He claimed she was everything he was not. She was kind, gentle, loving. She had a heart a gold for all the right people. She was smart, caring, and walked with her head up high, even through the darkest of times.

Rafe often said you could never tell if Ophelia was anything but happy - which in all reality, she was rarely anything but. And now, you could see the look on her face. Pale, cold, her brows furred together in a painted look that made the girl constantly look angry.

Rafe hated almost every single thing about his life, but most, he hated himself for what he had done to Ophelia.

Rafe Cameron has had a crush on Ophelia Martin since they were four. Days turned into months, which turned to years, and Rafe's first love and school-giddy crush had blossomed into something much more.

He was obsessed.

Wherever Ophelia was, he was sure to follow. He loved her, simply. He wasn't obsessed in the taunting, dark kind of way, but the loving, passionate kind. He would make sure to walk her in between classes, and drive her home safely at night. He always said good morning, and spent every waking minute he could with the dark haired girl.

Rafe was entirely consumed by Ophelia, and he never wanted that to change.

He was always sure to be soft - both physically and emotionally. He didn't want to tear Ophelia down, or abuse her trust in any given way. He was sure to protect her, to show her how she truly deserved to be loved, and all in the process, she returned the favour.

Ophelia was Rafe's safe person, his comfort. He went to her when he was happy, sad, angry, he went to her regardless. She made him feel something he never thought he could. She made him learn to love again.

Rafe Cameron never wanted to bring harm to Ophelia, just as he never wanted shoot Sherif Peterkin on the tarmac. That, was the honest truth. He was scared, confused, and there was one thing burning in the back of his mind that led him to pulling the trigger.

What do I have to do to keep Ophelia safe?

Absolutely everything revolved around Ophelia. The time Rafe woke in the morning, to the clothes he wore, to the way he acted. Often times, his underlying obsession got the best of him, yet Ophelia always came back. She never left, but she always came back.

Rafe Cameron was the epitome of stress. His subtle habits were a cue for Ophelia, ones that she so desperately tried to make part of her own, only wanting nothing but the best for the Cameron boy.

She wanted the best when she stepped in between the fight, and although she never may believe the truth, Rafe had never meant to push her. Stress, to say the least, had taken over Rafe's entirety, and his vision become a blur and his mind ran blank.

If his own father hadn't chose Rafe, would Ophelia? If Sarah decided to tell someone about what he had done, it meant one thing and one thing only. Rafe Cameron would be behind bars. Did he care about the obvious? No. What he did care about, was if Ophelia would still love him through the barricade of a jail cell.

Again, it was all about Ophelia. It always was, and that's why when she got in the way, he hadn't even realized. Rafe was so hellbent on reassuring his hurting heart, that in the process, he hurt another.

She always came back.

From his underlying anger issues to his drug problem, Ophelia was always by his side. Never less, she didn't agree with either, and then some in between, though she would be beside him at the highs, and lifting him up at the lows.

She was his high.

When Ophelia was presumed dead to be later sneaking her way around Nassau, Bahamas, Rafe was at a loss. Now, Ophelia was simply in the other room, only a few feet in between, though it felt as if she was taken over by the tidal once again.

He felt as if he was loosing her, and if he had, he was afraid of the outcome. She scared him, completely. He could tell her things he couldn't tell himself. Around her, he was Rafe. Her Rafe. The real Rafe. Rafe who beyond the hurt and broken pieces, was just a boy in love with his best friend.

His room was torn and ripped to pieces, everything that could be broken was, much like his heart that shattered into a tiny million pieces when he saw what he had done. His throat was hoarse, unable to scream any further. His eyes were dry, the whites now a dark stained red as there were no tears left to cry.

His heart, barely beating, told him to do the only thing he could possibly do at a time like this.

He kissed her. Without warning, without permission. without even deciding to do it, but simply because he couldn't have done anything else.

He needed that breath she was holding. It belonged to him, and he wanted it back.

Because to him, her breath was a sign of living, of why he was alive, a sign that she was still there. She always came back, and because of that, he would set fire to the world around him, yet never let a flame touch her.

─ ☆°•.¸☆¸.•°☆ ─

Author's Note

So, I decided to do a little filler chapter with a different point of view. It's short, but I still hope you enjoyed going deep into Rafe's mind!

I still can't get over the amount of love and support this story has received. I love you all like Rafe loves Ophelia.

With that, I have noticed some arguing in the comments, and I hope that they stop. I am more than thankful to those who stick up for and support this story, as there has been a lot of hate comments since season two came out and this story got more attention, though, I hate to see the harsh words being said against said people. So please, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all.

This is a STORY. I do not condone toxic relationships and I am not trying to glorify them. I am simply trying to portray Rafe in a different light, one where I write how I think he would be in this situation. He does not hurt Ophelia. I am simply following the story line with some of my own ideas. Please, don't take it seriously. It is a work of fiction. 

Enjoy, my loves.