FOURTY NINE

FOURTY - NINE

 ❝ Killing is Nature.

 ❞

─ ☆°•.¸☆¸.•°☆ ─

"Here, baby."

Rafe Cameron was frantic. His hands were trembling at his sides, throwing the very few bags he packed overboard, tugging the last from Ophelia's hands and piling it onto the rest.

Damp pants, a long sleeved pullover and ball cap was Rafe Cameron's attire, the loose fitted clothing making Ophelia want to curl up into his chest and never let go. She couldn't. At least, not right now.

Time was of the essence, and Ophelia felt as if she was a fugitive running from the police. She wasn't. Her boyfriend was.

Ophelia Martin had meant what she said. She would do anything for Rafe. After all this time, after all the years of Rafe protecting her, she ought to protect him. She obliged, hoping into the small tin boat right after Rafe, not waiting for his hand to reach for hers as she sat next to him.

She smiled lightly, the comfort of Rafe being next to her all she had needed. Rafe hadn't smiled, not once, knowing the possibility of the outcomes that may happen. If he was taken from Ophelia, he wasn't sure what he would do.

Ophelia sat with her knees pressed together, Rafe's hand gripping onto her bare thigh before fumbling with his backpack, zipping away the gun as if it had made it disappear all together. Ophelia knew what she was in for. Rafe was trying to hide it.

"I'm all for a man ready to defend himself, Rafe, but uh." Ophelia felt her cheeks flush, her hand moving to Rafe's lap where she grabbed ahold of his hand, which he squeezed back in response. "They ain't gonna take me alive, I can tell you that much right now."

And in that moment, both Rafe and Ophelia had realized the importance of one another, together, how it should be.

Tears welled in Ophelia's eyes, but she wouldn't dare let Rafe see. He was on edge, he was nervous, and it wasn't because he was afraid to die, or afraid to be caught, but because he was afraid he couldn't protect Ophelia anymore.

"You know, everyone things nature's all chill." Rafe spoke up quietly. "Everything trying to kill everything else all the time, and, every single thing has to kill to live." Rafe squeezed Ophelia's hand tighter. "Killing is nature."

Ophelia's heart was thumping in her chest. Breathe in. Breathe out. Everything had all seemed to happen so fast, from kissing Rafe in his bedroom, to dating after Midsummers, to now, on a getaway boat trying to hide Rafe from the authorities.

Rafe Cameron had killed someone, and that hadn't seemed to bother Ophelia one bit.

"I don't particularly dislike you, Rafe." Barry spoke up from behind, Ophelia glancing over her shoulder to meet with the boys concerned stare. "But I ain't gonna forget how your father pumped my ass."