Elena

This amazing couple adopted me. Since I was a baby, they always made sure I had everything I ever needed. My father works for NASA and my mother is a professor at the University of Virginia and teaches mythology. We live in a small town called Scottsville. We live in an enormous mansion with about 500 acres of land and two cute huskies named Skye and milo.

Today is the first day of summer break, I will be a senior in high school in the fall. I have a wonderful boyfriend named Kyle who is also the pitcher of the baseball team and, well, I'm in the supernatural club and the person who started it.

At the age of 5, I was already in karate and gymnastic. My mom wanted to make sure I could defend myself out in the big world, as she put it. I never really see my father unless it's dinner time or we do things on the weekends. Over the years, I've noticed my parents never really aged, but I never question it. Probably just very good genetics, I supposed. This summer were going to Spain for a month. I'm surprised my father could take that much time off.

''Mom, can we go shopping before we leave tomorrow?''

Mom?

I thought she was still in my room. I walk down the stairs to find her talking to dad in a hush voice. I guess they don't know I'm down here. I hear mom say something about permission from an alpha before we can leave. What the hell are they talking about? What the fuck is an alpha?

''Mom, dad what's going on?''

They froze when they both realize I was behind them. My mother turns around and says, ''oh nothing honey, just a book I am reading. Your father was wondering how it was. Now, what did you need?''

''Can we go shopping before we leave tomorrow? I would like to get some newer clothes since mine are starting to get too small.''

''Honey, I'm very busy with stuff. Did you ask your sister if she wanted to go with you instead?''

''I have not even seen her today and plus she doesn't even want to go with me.''

''Then ask Albert to take you to the mall. What about Kyle?''

''Kyle left for a baseball camp yesterday, so I will just ask Albert then.''

''Okay sweetie, be safe and please don't stay out after 10 since we have to leave by 9 in the morning for the airport. Have fun.''

I forgot to mention I have two other siblings, a sister who is only a year younger than me and a brother who is 10. My parents could have kids of their own. I'm happy somebody dropped me off at their doorstep, but I feel like there is something missing from my life, but I could never put my finger on it.

I grab my purse and wait in the town car for Albert. The car door opens and in comes my bratty little sister.

''Mom said you're going to the mall, so I'm coming with you.''

''Sure, why not, but didn't you just buy new clothes last week for this trip?''

''A girl can never have enough clothes, Elena.''

''I'm so happy we're not alike. Dad would be so broke.''

She just rolled her eyes and went back to texting and ignoring me, as always. Even at school, she pretends to not know me. She was the popular girl because daddy has money and she's dating the quarterback from the football team.

I'm just the Alternative girl dating a baseball player. Don't get me wrong, I like the way I am, but there is something missing from my life, and I wish I could figure out what it is because it's driving me crazy.

After a long day of shopping with my high maintained sister, I could finally go home and relax before tomorrow's trip. I have never been out of the country, so this should be interesting. I get up and go to the bathroom and turn the shower on. I get undressed, hop in the shower and wash my hair and body, and then turn the water off.