Chapter 17

I park my car on the streets and step outside, looking at Yunlan's back as he stands at the door. I walk up to the house watching as he talks to the women who looks pleasantly surprised to see him.

"Yunlan?"

He turns around surprised to see me "Wei? What are you doing here?"

"I was passing by and saw you"

"Ohh...Wei, this is...."

Before Yunlan could introduce us, the women turns towards me "Hi, my name is Minzy. I don't know how much Yunlan told you but....I am Peng's wife"

"Peng as in....Yunlan's squad mate?"

"Yes, the one who never came back home"

"I am so sorry, I will leave"

"No no...you both have to stay for dinner"

"No...that won't be necessary"

A soft giggle draws her attention behind her and she looks back at Yunlan again. "Let me reframe my request. You both are staying for dinner and that's final"

We sigh and walk behind her into the house.
We follow her to the kitchen counter and take a seat. She picks her baby and coo's cradling it in her arms.

"This is Hui Fang, my baby. He skipped his nap, I will put him to sleep. I will be right back"

Minzy walks in and starts preparing for dinner. Yunlan gathers his courage and speaks. "Minzy...I..."

"Yunlan...I know why you are here. Just tell me directly"

"I am sorry....I am very sorry......If only I could...." Yunlan chokes.

A lone tear trickles down her cheeks "All these years, I blamed you for everything. I owe you an apology Yunlan"

"What? No"

"Yes, Peng loved you. Whenever we'd talk, he would mention you and tell what an amazing man you are. He'd talk about the advices you gave him. He would tell which place sells beer the best. After Hui Fang came to my life everything changed. He saved me actually"

"Is Hui Fang?"

"No.....You know I could not get pregnant. So Peng and I decided to adopt. All the papers were submitted. We were waiting for the approval. It was approved few months back. Peng could not see the baby but I knew it was a blessing to me. Yunlan...I am sorry I did not return your calls, sorry that I avoided you. You reminded me so much of Peng that it was hurting me more...."

"You know, I wouldn't think twice if I had to swap places with him...."

"ZHAO YUNLAN...Don't you DARE complete that sentence. There are so many people who would love to have your life"

"A life full of misery?"

"No...a chance to live again. I know you blame yourself for not saving Peng. But, it was not in your hands to save them Yunlan. I have been struggling to live all the years until my son came to my life. You must also have someone who you want to live for" She looks at me and smiles "Let's forget everything. I know it's hard, but that's how we move on. Look at me, I am happy right now because I have my son with me. You need to find the reason to live as well Yunlan. You need to see the positive parts from this incident. There always will be sacrifices but don't let those sacrifices go to waste by living in misery. If Peng was here at the moment, he would have beaten you up for saying such things"

A small smile forms on Yunlan's face "You are right. He would beat me to pulp and then treat my wounds as well"

"See...we do not need to think about bad memories to think about Peng. There are so many good memories of us together. Let's not remember him negatively rather positively. Dinner is ready, let me serve and we can have a chat about Peng"