Chapter 1: Evidence

PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END, IT'S VERY IMPORTANT!
THANK YOU AND HAPPY READING!

------

Chapter 1: Evidence

                                                   //6 Months Later//
                         ~~~~~~~~~~~{Sky’s Point of View}~~~~~~~~~~~

Sprinting through the streets of London in an evening gown was not the way I wanted to be spending my nine month anniversary of dating Steve, but I was on a job. I didn’t have a choice.

London was unusually humid, the sun was long gone, probably rising somewhere over the Southern Hemisphere by now. The muggy air wasn’t helping my endurance and I wanted nothing more than to give up the chase now. But if I did, Fury would kill me.

The Avengers had been disbanded six months ago, and so far, no one had been called back into action –until now, when a week ago, I got a call from Maria Hill.

Panting, I pushed myself to catch up –and I almost did. Until I heard a splash and looked down into the River Thames where the man I had been chasing had jumped in and started to swim away. There was no way I could follow him in this dress, it was beyond ruined already; blood stained the green satin and it was torn half way up one side. The heavy fabric would weigh me down if I wanted to follow him into the polluted water of the Thames.

Sighing, I made my way down to the bank of the river to look for clues to who he was. At the moment, this guy was a John Doe arms dealer, specialising in forging Iron Man suits and selling them to Korea.

After about an hour of sifting through mud and damp sand, finding hundreds of lost rings, ear rings, necklaces, bracelets, charms, needles, and an excessive amount of general rubbish, I hadn’t come across anything suspicious –or useful.

That was, until, something shiny caught my eye. It was glinting under the light of the moon like a mirror against the sun. At first, I thought it was a bullet, or some kind of fire arm ammunition. But as I got closer, I noticed a long, thin golden chain with a jade green pendant on it. It looked oddly familiar and too well-cared for, for it to be something washed up on the bank.

All the other jewellery I’d found was rusty and worn, this was old, but polished, like someone took pride in wearing it.

I frowned and picked up the necklace, I knew it from somewhere. It was going to bug me until I figured out from exactly where.

I brushed off the mud and realised -
“Noel.” I whispered and immediately grabbed my phone from the strap on my leg.

Tony’s number was number five on speed dial –Steve being one, Hector was two, S.H.I.E.L.D was three and Noel was four.

“Stark, talk to me.” Tony picked up on the sixth ring.
“Tony.” I greeted, “It’s Sky.”
“Ah, Skylar! Haven’t seen you in a while.” He said, Tony seemed...overly joyous and happy –which was a good sign, he’d been in slump ever since Noel left, we all had, by Tony more than others. Clint was good at disguising his pain. But it was still strange hearing and seeing Tony this happy, it just wasn’t natural.

“I’m in London.” I told him, “And I think I’ve found something you’ll want to see.” I took the phone away from my ear, snapped a photo of the necklace wrapped around my hand, the pendant nestled in palm, and sent it to Tony. Within three seconds, I heard the phone on the other end beep signally he’d gotten the message.

“Get to New York –ASAP.” Tony ordered. “Where did you find that?”
“On the bank of the River Thames.” I said and paused. “It’s Her’s, isn’t it?”

There was a long, terribly painful silence on Tony’s end of the phone. I could practically hear his heart breaking all over again. I wanted to be there for him, to comfort him –over the past few months, Tony and I had become good friends. At first we’d just whined and confided in each other about how much we missed Noel, because the rest of the Avengers had turned on her –except for Clint, of course.

Even Steve, who I thought was incapable of hating anyone other than villains, had quickly made up his mind about how he felt about Noel. I learned very quickly not to bring Noel’s name up in conversations with Steve.

“Yeah.” He replied, ending the call and I knew that I had to get back to America, now.

***

Author’s Note: Hey guys! So, chapter 1! What do you think?
There will be a lot of Sky’s point of view in this book, so I hope you guys like that!
Why do you think Noel’s necklace was sitting on the bank of the Thames?

Just so you know, this story won’t be steadily updated for a while yet, I’m still finishing off NOT FOR THE LIGHT HEARTED, so until that’s all finished, this will be the only chapter you’ll see being posted on METALLIC LIGHTS.

That’s why I’ve decided to hold a competition!

The aim is simple, write a one-shot in anyone's point of view from the Metallic Charms books (Noel, Starlie, Sky, Tony, Steve, Clint, ect) during the months where the Avengers have been disbanded – so in the months between the events of METALLIC HEARTS and METALLIC LIGHTS.

You can go nuts! There are no limits to this competition except for the time period.

The top three one-shots will be posted at the end of NOT FOR THE LIGHT HEARTED (if that’s okay with the author, of course.)

Competition closes on FRIDAY, 1ST FEBRUARY 2013. Entries can be either posted on your page and you can send me the link, or you can PM me with the story! Either way is fine!

Have fun!

*huggles* arielleblack.