Chapter 27: Probationary Leave

Author's Note: Possible feels warning, like, seriously. I cried while writing this chapter. Grab the nearest plush toy and hug it, you're most likely going to need it. 

Happy reading!

__

Chapter 27: Probationary Leave

~~~~~~~~~~~{Noel’s Point of View}~~~~~~~~~~~ 

After being hauled up in S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters for about three weeks, with no visitors, no phone calls, no more informative texts and no more “interesting” Starlie Banner run ins, I finally got some good news. Director Fury was giving me a day to myself. I was allowed anywhere within the United States borders for a whole twenty four hours with no guards following me, only the occasional satellite check in.

There was no doubt in my mind about where I wanted to go. Miami. The last time I’d been, I’d been with Tony and we’d gone to the zoo. But that didn’t matter to me right now, what mattered was the fact that when I’d been on the S.H.I.E.L.D server I’d found where Coulson was buried. Unlike other agents, he hadn’t been cremated and had his ashes spread at sea. He’d gotten a grave and a proper burial –there was footage of it in the archives, too. I’d watched it over and over. I still couldn’t believe that he was gone. He had been the glue that kept all of S.H.I.E.L.D together. He’d been my best friend.

From the top of the S.H.I.E.L.D building, there was a helipad. While I was waiting, I pulled my phone out and texted the only person I knew of that still liked me, or I still liked.

Meet me in Miami. Need to talk, you should see something. I typed out and sent to Sky.

I got an immediate reply of a smiley face before I got onto the quinjet and the pilot took off.

***

Miami was pretty warm this year, light and cool breezes blowing through my long, tangled hair. I had jeans and a tank top on, a pretty good choice considering almost every other girl I’d come across was in a sun dress that they were holding down, trying to make sure that it didn’t blow up and expose their underwear.

I met up with Sky at a tiny coffee shop around the corner from the cemetery that Coulson was buried in.

“Hey,” She got up from her seat and hugged me. “So, what did you want to show me?”

I shook my head, “That can wait. I have a whole day to myself thanks to good behaviour. I want to hear about this new Asgardian we’re supposedly dealing with.” I sat down in the booth with Sky, who had been nice enough to shout me a mocha cappuccino –my favourite.

“Right.” She joined me in the booth, sipping at her hot drink. “Well, I actually met her while you were in Asgard. She told me her name was Alexandra Shaw. She told me something about history repeating and Steve and I couldn’t really make sense of it.”

I nodded. “So she randomly popped up again a few weeks ago?”

“Yeah, with a full on prophecy. According to Thor, her names Valkyrie.” Sky added.

“Guardian of Valhalla?” I leaned forward. “She practically one of their deities in Asgard.”

“So, a bunch of gods have gods?” Sky chuckled.

“Yeah, essentially.” I’d never really thought about that before. I laughed, “So what was this ‘prophecy?’ Anything I should be worrying about?”

Sky fell silent and looked towards the street outside, watching the cars roll past slowly in the traffic. She looked like she was hiding something, which, I wasn’t surprised by. But she also looked like she wasn’t about to tell me what that something was.