Chapter 25: Visitor

Chapter 25: Visitor

~~~~~~~~~~~{Sky’s Point of View}~~~~~~~~~~~

Visiting Noel had been rather dramatic. Originally, Fury hadn’t wanted me within a mile radius of her in either direction. I couldn’t quite understand why, though. I was on a temporary hiatus working from the agency –which seemed to becoming a permanent thing –and I wasn’t on threat watch any longer. I was living with Tony Stark and Pepper Potts. I had my life together, for the most part.

As it turned out, nobody had been allowed to see her as a precaution enforced by Director Fury himself. Which I thought was incredibly stupid.

Noel had just gotten back from a, reportedly, very unstable time in Asgard and had been hanging around some of the most unstable people I’d ever had the displeasure of hearing about. I was worried about her mental state. If she was left to her own devices for long enough, she could end up on the bad side of crazy. I didn’t doubt that she was capable and could handle herself, but... After I got a call from Fury informing me that she had not left her room in four days, I practically begged him to let me see her.

She explained everything; what she’d done in Asgard, why, who she’d met and actually befriended. The subject of Amora –or rather ‘The Enchantress’ as Noel always referred to her as – was pretty touchy. Whenever I tried to ask her what it was like living with Amora, Noel would clamp up and just when it seemed like I was just getting to open up and crawl out from this miserable cave she was trapped in, she scurried back inside like a terrified hermit crab. I had no idea why, she hadn’t told Fury or Hill, Natasha or even her brother anything out of the ordinary since she’d gotten back, but I guess she needed a little more time to readjust.

As it turns out, Noel hadn’t let her room in four days because she had promised Director Fury’s superiors a full, in depth case report on her thirteen months, two weeks and six days in Asgard living with Amora, the Enchantress. And with specific detail and immense emphasis on how she’d exactly come across Loki and coaxed him into teaching her his tricks. Bruce and Tony or any of the S.H.I.E.L.D scientists were yet to ask to study her again, like they had when it was first discovered she’d had powers, but I suspected that wouldn’t last very long. Her powers had strengthened in her time away, and according to Bruce’s initial scans, that wasn’t supposed to happen. She was evolving.

And that had just been the conversation before we’d gotten to men.

Honestly, men. It seemed that these days all my problems were stemming from men.

My best friend left Earth because a) Thor asked her to and b) to get away from Tony Stark –although, she’d probably never admit that.

I had to move out of Brooklyn to a) get away from Hector and Starlie’s awkward encounters and b) get away from one 1940’s gentlemen that just happened to be Steve Rogers.

I could barely believe it had been just over two months since we’d called it quits. Well, he had. I just told people it was mutual to make it easy. Lies may be terrible, but sometimes they protect you from the harsh truth that pierced your heart like one of Hawkeye’s arrows.

Striding across the vast, marble covered lobby of the Stark Tower it was a Saturday so it was pretty calm, it didn’t have its usual workday buzz about it. My phone buzzed in my pocket before the familiar lyrics of ‘Hurts Like Heaven’ by Coldplay rang out in the eerie lobby.

“So on a concrete canvas under cover of dark,

On a concrete canvas I was making my mark,