Chapter 12: Special Request

//11 Months After Noel’s Disappearance//

~~~~~~~~~~~{Noel’s Point of View}~~~~~~~~~~~

I was in regular contact with Lady Sif and her Warriors, as well as the occasional letter I received from Odin about living with Enchantress. He had given me his word that while I was still in Asgard, he would not arrest or charge Enchantress with any crimes, but he would make a list of things she was guilty of in order to arrest her for after I left.

Once every fortnight, Lady Sif and I would meet up in front of the tunnel I’d made for accessing Loki’s cell. It hadn’t been closed off, and the Allfather, as well as Sif and the Warriors Three knew about it, but I had to make sure Loki still thought I was breaking the law by seeing him.

The guards had been told to ‘arrest me’ if they ever caught me with Loki, which they never would under Odin’s very specific orders.

Tonight was one of those nights when I was supposed to meet Sif and update her on my progress on fixing the bi-frost, which I was very, very close to fixing for good –as long as Thor didn’t smash it with his hammer again.

“Noel.” Enchantress stepped into my room as I finished writing down calculations for the bi-frost. I quickly covered the paper by getting up and sitting on the desk so I could face her.

“Enchantress.” I greeted her softly, not looking into her eyes. Trying not to look at her at all. “What can I do for you?”

“I have word from the other side of the city.” She said with her hands clasped at her waist and the fabric of her dress still swishing around her long legs.

“What about?” I asked quietly, fearing that I may be stepping out of line again.

“An old friend is showing interest in my plan.” Enchantress explained. “And I need all the help we can get at the moment –wars are won with numbers.”

Before I could think about what I was saying, the ten words slipped out of my mouth. “A friend once told me wars were won with soldiers.”

There was a short stretch of silence and I dared to look up at the blonde sorceress. She was expressionless, her face an indifferent mask. Her body language was a completely different story – hands no longer clasped together, now balled in fists at her sides. I could almost see the tension in her shoulders.

I snatched a look at her face and saw her eyes were glowing a bright, vibrant green and I tried to move backwards away from the woman.

“What did you say?” She articulated slowly, carefully, a clear threat.

“N-n-nothing, ma’am.” I replied, head down, staring at my feet. Before I could move another inch, she was standing in front of me. She didn’t even move, just with a thought in her head, I was thrown into the other side of the room, landing against the wall with a thwack and a thud.

My skull split in pain and I could feel the blood leaking into my brown hair. Black dots dancing in my vision. Breath caught out of my lungs, I was frozen. I couldn’t breathe in, I couldn’t breathe out. I couldn’t even move my hand.

“You’re a spineless wench!” She shrieked, but it sounded muffled, like something was ringing in my ears and taking over everything that I could hear. “Spineless!”

When I got my breath back, I tried to sit up properly but I winced and stayed put. My shoulder blade was definitely broken –or at least fractured. And my head hurt the more I moved, even breathing ached.

“I-I’m sorry.” I looked at the floor next to me, unable to look at her out of fear.

“Look at me when you speak!” She ordered and I forced myself to move my head in order to face her.

“I’m sorry.” I gritted my teeth.

“Spineless wench.” Enchantress muttered before she left, not telling me when or if she’d be back.

***

Despite the tears and the pain, I had to get up and go to see Lady Sif, or else she’d become suspicious and come to find me. So I sucked it up and headed off to the tunnel.

When I arrived there, Lady Sif was waiting. The trip had taken longer than usual, I was limping and every few minutes I was forced to stop because of the intense pain radiating through my body from my head and right shoulder blade.

“Noel,” She exclaimed. “Where have you been?”

“Apologies for the wait,” I said breathlessly, the wind having been knocked out of me thanks to the ache. “I had a little trouble with Enchantress.”

Sif slowly took in my state, I’d tried to clean up the blood out of my hair, but it was still dried and caked through it in burgundy clumps. “I can see that. What did the sorceress do to you?”

“Nothing I didn’t deserve.” I looked away, ashamed. I knew this was all my fault. I was spineless. I’d left my friends and family. I had gone to Loki for help and then chickened out by getting help from the Allfather and Lady Sif as well.

I was a wench. I was worse than a wench. I was a bitch.

Lady Sif fell silent and I lowered my eyes, scared that she was judging me. What had I done now? Was she going to punish me as well? What was Sif going to do to me?

As if smelling my fear, Lady Sif stepped forward tentatively. “It’s okay, Noel. Just inform me if you cannot handle the Enchantress any longer.”

I nodded shyly.

Sif gave me a small smile. “Any success with the bi-frost?”

I shrugged. “I’m getting close to controlling my powers and mastering Loki’s tricks, and I’ve figured out how to completely fix the particles. I just have one problem.”

“Pray tell, what is it?” She asked.

“I’m going to need a lot of time in order to fix it, and the Enchantress can be unpredictable so I’m never sure how long she’ll be out and about for.” I explained. “I need a distraction.”

“I will inform the Allfather, and next time, I shall relay the result.” She nodded.