Chapter 28: Back at the Tower

~~~~~~~~~~~{Noel’s Point of View}~~~~~~~~~~~

The quinjet took us immediately to Stark Tower. I didn’t even bother questioning the pilot, neither did Sky –although, I didn’t think she had the capacity to do much in those terrifying few hours. I knew Sky still had feelings for Steve, it was written all over her face. The moment Tony told her that Steve had been hit... you could see any hatred or resentment she had toward him rushed away and an undeniable horror and grief struck her soul.

It was the most heart breaking thing I’d ever seen.

“Sky, sweetie...” I was sitting with her on the quinjet as we hovered over New York City, waiting for confirmation to land somewhere from the government. Everything had been shut down in the state. Transportation, communication –cell phone coverage was impossible to come across, wi-fi signal was gone. I had no way of contacting anybody on the ground to see if everyone was alright or if there was any word on Steve –had they found his body yet?

Sky shook her head, knowing exactly what I was going to say. ‘It’s okay.’ I had been about to say it, I knew everything wouldn’t be –but what else do you say in this sort of situation? What else do you do? How do you console a person who’s love of their life is dead because of a terrorist attack –and he had specifically been targeted?

I couldn’t even imagine how she was feeling, right now. I’d lost two sets of parents, but that had to be different from losing the love of your life.

“Don’t.” She croaked out.
“Hun, I know you’re hurting, I know that pain.” I tried to tell her and pulled her in for a hug, but she shrugged me away, ignoring me. I pushed on nevertheless. “I know it feels like you’ll never be happy again, and that you’ll never forget. And you won’t. And that pain won’t go away either.”
Sky turned and looked at me with piercing eyes, puffy and red from her hysterical crying that had now calmed a little. “Are you trying to make me feel better or would you like me to start crying again?”
“I’m not finished.” I told her, wrapping my arm around her slim shoulders which had started shaking again as silent sobs wrenched through her body and tried to escape her throat. “That pain won’t go away. But over time, you’ll find something to put hope into again. You’ll find some joy in life to concentrate on rather than dwelling on the past. And you won’t forget him. You’ll just reminisce a little less.”

About twenty minutes later, just as the pilot announced that we were running low on fuel, we got confirmation from the US government to land in New York –and thankfully, Stark’s heli-pad was free.

“Stark, we’re landing on your heli-pad. Clear the area.” I used the quinjet’s radio to connect to JARVIS’ network. I got a reply through Tony stepping out onto the heli-pad, giving us the thumbs up and we landed, thankfully, without any complications.

I was the first to sprint off the jet, I wanted to get the bad news first, I knew I should be the one to tell Sky anything right now.
“Anymore news?” I asked, pushing my hair back from my forehead and putting my hands behind my head. “Did they find his body?”
Tony crossed his arms over his chest and rocked back on his heels. “Yeah, we found his body alive and well, actually.”

My eyebrows shot up and I looked over my shoulder at Sky who was waiting behind me, leaning against the jet bracing herself for the bad news. I couldn’t believe it –what the hell!

What did that even mean, ‘alive and well?’ His apartment got hit by a bomb! Steve Rogers had been specifically targeted by somebody and we had no idea who they were. All the Avengers could be in danger –which included Skylar. I couldn’t let anything happen to her now. Clint, Natasha and Sky were the only people who still believed that I was a decent person, despite what I’d done and what I could do.