Chapter 4: Protecting Important Things

//7 Months After Noel’s Disappearance//

                             ~~~~~~~~~~~{Steve’s Point of View}~~~~~~~~~~~

Three weeks after Sky had returned from London, Tony and I were called back to S.H.I.E.L.D HQ to test out the new training facility. The last time I’d left, they’d just opened it and the waiting list to use it had been a mile long.

And, of course, the Avengers were a minor priority right now. Technically, we hadn’t even been called back into action yet, but after Natasha and Clint visited Fury two months ago and asked to be re-instated as agents but not members of the Avengers until need be, Fury had started calling us back for training sessions and minor solo missions.

Which, as far as I’m concerned, was great. After so many months of being out of action, I’d started to miss it. My muscles ached, longing to be used properly – no amount of working out was going to keep that need from returning.

Tony met me at the door of the facility, not wearing his Iron Man suit. I was geared up; of course, I’d gotten tips from Agent Hill that the facility was completely unpredictable.

“Where is your suit, Tony?” I asked, frowning under my helmet.
“In my room.” He replied smartly before lowering his voice, “I need a favour.”
“Tony, I am not helping you get into that suit.” I replied flatly, unamused.
“Not what I was going to ask.” He said almost immediately, “I want you to teach me how to fight.”
“You already know how to fight, Tony. With your suit.” I frowned again.

I didn’t understand. Tony Stark knew how to fight, he had his suit and he had more weapons in his possession than the United States Army. I also knew that he boxed and trained with a professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter. I didn’t understand why he needed help, and more specifically my help.

“Why?” I asked curiously.
“Because I need to learn how to fight without my suit. You said it yourself –I need to learn how to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl all over me.” He sighed, running a hand through his perfectly styled hair. Something shook within me, déjà vu.

The last time he’d run his hand through his hair, I’d been telling him that we needed to prepare for the worst when and if Noel ever returned. He’d told me that she was his weakness.

I blinked fast, trying to focus.

“But why do you need me? There are thousands of agents here that would be willing to help you.” I turned by back on him and swiped my key card over the pad before entering the seven digit code and leaning into the retinal scanner.

“Captain Steven Rogers, Captain America.” A female-robotic voice echoed throughout the hallway. “Entrance to training facility 3.0, approved.”

“I need your help because you know what it’s like.” Tony admitted, doing the same thing. Swiping his key card, entering the seven digit code, leaning into the wall for a retinal scan.

“Anthony Stark, Iron Man.” The female-robotic voice returned. “Entrance to training facility 3.0, approved.”

“And what do I know?” I asked, stepping into the dark room. “What do I know that other soldiers don’t?”
“You know what it’s like to lose the love of your life and want to fight so badly to get her back that you don’t sleep and you don’t eat and you spend weeks in exile hoping she’ll visit you in your day dreams.” Tony’s voice, although talking about a weakness, was strong and determined. He was slowly turning into a soldier, but not one of the U.S Army, or even the Avengers. But the best and worst kind; he was turning into a soldier of freedom and I knew, that I needed to keep him under control, at least until his depression for the loss of Noel subsided –if it ever did.

It took me a while to reply, but when I did, the dark room light up suddenly and I ducked because a log had dropped on a chain and swung towards us. The two of us ducked and I had about eight seconds to say;

“I’ll help you.”

Before the floor started to rumble in an Earthquake simulation. Fake debris fell down around us and we ran to the other side of the facility only to be cornered by six humanoid assassins. I knew they wouldn’t be able to kill us, or even harm us, but that didn’t stop the adrenaline from pumping through my veins and the excitement of a looming fight to run through my head. My heart started to pump a hundred times fast in anticipation of what was to come. I felt a wispy, wry smile appear on my face.

“Well, Hill wasn’t kidding when she said this facility was unpredictable.” I chuckled dryly.
“No shit.” Tony laughed, backing up against a wall. “Now, what do I do?”

I didn’t have time to answer. Two humanoids pounced on me, but I made short work of them, tossing one across the empty space and using my shield to knock its companion to the ground with a pretty big dent.

Tony was taking on two of them as well, the last two standing dormant, waiting until they were needed.

Stark was doing an okay job – he was rusty, but not too bad. He jabbed up and to the chest, keeping close to disarm his opponents when they weren’t expecting it.

He succeeded when he stole a gun from the female assassin’s holster and shot her in the arm, and shot the other one in the leg.

Before the next humanoids could be activated, I flung my shield at their heads and decapitated them.

“Nice work.” Tony nodded.
“Not so bad yourself.” I nodded in reply.
“So,” Tony frowned, looking around warily for his next challenge. “What do I do?”

Just then, spiked walls rose from the ground and decided to move towards us in a menacing way.

“Do whatever feels right.” I told him before we went into battle together.

* * *

Author's Note: Hey! So, new chapter, sort of a Steve and Tony bromance thing going on again xD I'm actually pretty proud of his chapter, it took me two days to write it but it was so worth it!

Why do you think Tony wants to learn how to fight without his suit?
When do you think the Avengers will be called into duty again? Like,do you think its gonna be soon or ages away?
That being said; when do you think Noel's going to return? If she ever does.

I can tell you that the next chapter is in Noel's point of view, and it's done, just gotta get it edited by Watson.

Just a warning, the next few days are going to be busy for me because I'm finishing off homework today and then I'm going back to school tomorrow, so it's gonna take me some time to get back into a routine that gets everything done.

I'll most likely be updating "Marvel Games" before I update this again, so look out for that upload ^.^

Until the next chapter, comment, vote, like!
*huggles* arielleblack.