Chapter 31: Bargain Chip

~~~~~~~~~~~{Noel’s Point of View}~~~~~~~~~~~

The moment Clint strolled into the room looking over his shoulder I knew something fishy was up. Some part of me knew that I should probably get up and leave the room, but I didn’t want to put everyone else on edge. They were all pretty happy sitting around and eating. Bruce and Sky were sitting in between Tony and I, probably upon request of everyone in the room, too stop any fights occurring. He still hadn’t forgiven me for my actions at Stark Tower close to four days ago now, and honestly, I didn’t blame him –I’d caused a city wide black out and gotten him in trouble with the NYPD because of Fury’s orders not to reveal me to the public.

“Hey guys.” Clint spoke up and we quietened down. There was a tall girl standing next to him. She had short, mousy brown hair and wide brown eyes; she wore a yellow shirt and dark jeans; definitely a civilian. “This is Danielle Brandt. She says she knows something about Captain America’s death.”
“But-” Sky started to speak up before I shook my head at her and nudged her. “Nothing.” She sighed.
“So,” I cleared my throat, “What does she know?”
“We’re about to find out.” Clint shrugged, sitting down and letting her have the floor. “Ms. Brandt, if you wouldn’t mind?”

Danielle looked a little overwhelmed sitting in front of all the Avengers –and me.

“Has she been checked by security?” Tony asked.
“Three times, Stark.” Clint said. “Now shut up and listen.”

Danielle Brandt looked professional, even if she was nervous, she held herself as if she’d been a soldier all her life –I got the feeling that Steve would really like this girl, and I think Sky came to that conclusion as well, because she stiffened beside me and made a face at Tony and Bruce, who chuckled. I elbowed her and she stopped, looking down at her hands in her lap and twiddling her thumbs, she looked quite depressed –more so than usual. I couldn’t place my finger on exactly why though.

“I don’t exactly know where to begin.” Danielle finally spoke, she had a strong British accent and she sighed slightly.
“Telling us who you are might be a good start.” Clint suggested helpfully, perking up. Danielle nodded and pursed her lips to the side before taking a deep breath and starting.

“My name is Danielle Brandt, I’m twenty two and I was in the army for two years before he found me.” She began as if she were reading a storybook.
“He?” Bruce frowned.
“He never told me his name. Only that I should call him Johann –but over the years that I was with him, dozens of people called him dozens of different names.” Danielle sat down on a chair just behind her and crossed one leg over the other. “Johann is the head of the New Hydra Science Division. I guess you could call them a terrorist group now.”
This didn’t seem like news to anyone here, it was to me, but I didn’t want to interrupt this kind of speech. I’d bring it up with the others later. In some ways, I completely understood why they were keeping secrets from me –Sky had been acting extra sneaky lately, and this was probably the reason, judging by her reaction.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Natasha and Steve starting to walk down the hallway towards us. I subtly shook my head at her and pulled my phone out, texting Natasha.

UNKNOWN COMPANY, DO NOT BRING CAP HERE.

Natasha whipped out her phone, read the text and nodded curtly at me, shoving Steve around and back down the hallway.

“Why did he want you?” I tuned back into the conversation, hearing Tony speak.
“He likes collecting people with...talents.” She said uneasily.
“Like strippers?” Tony raised an eyebrow, suddenly interested in what Danielle Brandt had to say. I rolled my eyes, completely unimpressed.
“Ignore him, Danielle.” I spoke up. She jumped a little, not having realised I was in the room –she probably didn’t even know who I was either. “He’s an ass.”
“Figured.” Danielle smirked. Tony looked back and forth between Danielle and me trying to figure out if we knew each other, or whether we were just the type of people who liked to gang up on guys. I certainly didn’t know Miss Brandt, but I had the feeling that if she was going to be sticking around, we’d get along pretty well.