Chapter 10: Progress

//9 Months After Noel’s Disappearance//

~~~~~~~~~~~{Sky’s Point of View}~~~~~~~~~~~

Nine months have passed. Nine whole months since Noel left, and even now the pain of her leaving is still etched into my soul.
Six months since I’d found that damn necklace on the back of the River Thames.

Insane how fast time can pass you by when everything was in a bad way.

The guilt of lying to Steve was very quickly talking a toll on me, hard to believe I used to lie as a job, now I couldn’t even keep one thing hidden from my boyfriend.

“What’s that?” Steve leered over my shoulder suddenly as I minimised a tab, Tony had sent me a link to download the software he’d created to track the dark magic particles. So far, we’d had two false alarms but Tony and Jane believed that we were getting closer. It seemed like Thor and I were the only ones with realistic views on this whole thing. We wanted Noel back more than anything in the world right now, but the Avengers team was divided, fractured even.

They’d brought themselves back together for the sake of S.H.I.E.L.D, but they were more unstable relationship wise than ever before. Clint, Tony, Thor and I were on one side; we wanted Noel back, even if she was on Loki or Enchantress’ side now. We just wanted to know if she was okay. Bruce, Starlie, Fury, and sadly, Steve wanted her back so that they could throw her into a jail cell without trial. According to them, she was guilty of treason and terrorist actions against the population of Earth –even though she hadn’t actually done anything to hurt us –yet

Natasha seemed to be the only one not on a side. She cared enough about all of us to keep herself neutral, but I could tell it was taking its toll on her too. She had to deal with everyone yelling their views at her –and she was dealing with her boyfriend still grieving over the fact that his sister was gone. Though, Clint had gotten substantially better over the past few months ever since he went back to work, the distraction was definitely helping him.

“Nothing.” I replied. “Just something Tony wanted me to look at.” It wasn’t exactly a lie, but not the entire truth.
“You and Tony have gotten very friendly lately.” Steve commented.
I sighed. “Not this again, Steve.”
“I didn’t say anything!” He defended.
“No, but you were about to.” I replied, “And before you get all defensive again I’m going to just say it. I do not like Tony, I love you. I am helping out a friend who has lost the woman he loves. Why don’t you understand that?”

“I completely understand it.” Steve frowned. “I just don’t know why he’s spending so much time with you and not Bruce, or Clint, or Natasha.”
“If he hung around with Clint he’d have to deal with so much depression about Noel that he would fall back into his self-abusing ways. Natasha is tired of listening to anyone yell their views at her just because she isn’t telling us what she thinks of Noel’s disappearance and you know damn well why he can’t be around Bruce anymore.” I snapped at him.

Steve started to apologise but I was too worked up now, I needed some space to cool off. There was a reason Steve and I rarely brought up Noel as a subject point, because it always lead to one of us storming out and I didn’t know how much more of the fighting I could take. I didn’t understand why he couldn’t just respect my views –I was at least trying to respect his!

I loved Steve, why couldn’t he just put this one thing behind him? Behind us?

“I’m going to Tony’s.” I told him. I grabbed my laptop off the bench along with my keys and phone. “Don’t wait up.” I yelled as I closed the door, skipping the steps downstairs before hitting the pavement outside and hailing a cab.

It didn’t take me long to reach Tony’s. I paid the cabbie and headed inside the Stark Tower.

It was looking a little less glamorous every time I came here, probably because it had started to be used by all the Stark Industries staff and it had lost its sleek ‘new’ shine to everything. But it still looked amazing. Professional yet fun and vibrant.

Stepping into the private elevator that only stopped at Tony’s apartment I found myself sharing the tiny space with a tall, slender woman with long red hair and stunning blue eyes.

“Um,” I cleared my throat before the elevator doors closed. “This is Mr. Stark’s private elevator.” I informed her.
“Oh, I know.” She smiled and stuck her hand out to shake mine. “I’m Tony Stark’s new personal assistant, Pepper Potts.”
Tentatively, I took her hand and shook it once before dropping it, “Skylar Evans.” I introduced myself.

The elevator doors slid shut and Pepper and I didn’t share any small talk until the doors opened again and we both stepped into Tony’s apartment.

“Is Mr. Stark expecting you?” She asked.
“No, but he’s used to me dropping by.” I replied, placing my laptop on the kitchen bench and helping myself to the coffee and raided Tony’s fridge.

“Sky!” He exclaimed happily as he entered the kitchen. “I thought I heard the familiar sound of you raiding my fridge.”
I shrugged. “You have good chocolate. You know I like the expensive stuff.”
“Why do you think I buy it every week?” He replied. “Another fight?”
“Yeah.” I sighed. “No big deal though, he’ll come around... Or I will.”

“Well, if he doesn’t, Steve is an idiot and I’ll make sure he knows it.” Tony promised me.
I changed the subject, I really didn’t feel like discussing my relationship problems with Tony Stark. “Anything new on the particle front?” I asked.
“Thor went to check something out right before you arrived. He didn’t find anything though.” Tony explained. “It’s like she’s playing with us.” 

“Tony!” Pepper’s voice rang out from the lounge room. “I need you to sign some papers.”
“Be right there, babe!” Tony called back to her and I almost spat out the sip of coffee I’d taken.

“Babe?” I whispered harshly to him.
Tony ignored me and walked into the lounge room.

I followed him. What the hell was ‘babe’? I asked myself. Was Tony just being funny or was he... God forbid, was Tony Stark moving on from Noel Barton?

I felt dizzy. This was insane. Tony had told me flat out that he loved Noel and now he was just going against that? I didn’t understand –was this his way of telling me he was giving up on finding Noel?
Did Thor or Jane know about this?

“Good morning.” He greeted Pepper and planted a kiss on her lips and I almost fainted right then and there.

That was that then.

Tony Stark had moved on.

I felt sick, I wished I could call Noel and tell her about this because I knew she would have wanted to know.

I retreated back to the kitchen and grabbed my laptop before leaving the Stark Tower.

I had nowhere to go now. I was stuck in the middle of Tony trying to move on while I was still trying to find Noel and I had to deal with Steve who wanted Noel’s head served to him on a silver platter.

How the hell was I supposed to get through this without any help?

***
Author's Note: Hello Internet! So, uh, no more Toel.... PEPPERONY IS MAKING AN APPEARANCE- WHATTTT????
Yeah, I know, I know! I originally said way back in Metallic Charms that Pepper wasn't going to be in this fan fiction series but as time went on, I found myself in need of a character that would jeprodise the Toel relationship, and who better to do that than Tony's actual love interest in the Iron Man movies?

Pepper Potts, you either love her or hate her xD
I apologise wholeheartedly to those who wanted Toel to reappear as soon as Noel got back (if she ever comes back), but thats just not realistic. So I'm not saying that Noel and Tony's romantic relationship is completely over, I haven't even decided that yet. So yeah... Possible love triangle anyone? xD

That being said; How did you guys like the chapter?
Two uploads in one night...now I might rest, it is 4am over here and I'm about to pass out.
Good night!

Until the next chapter, comment, vote, like!
*huggles* arielleblack