Chapter 496

Jay's POV:
When Atwater volunteered to take lead on Erin's push towards helping reduce police brutality in the CPD, I felt bad because I know as much as he wants to help...it might put him in a bad place. I mean, how would his community feel about it? I already knew (from the few conversations and texts we've shared) that he is already having a hard time with his friends for just being a police officer. But to take lead in intelligence on possible outreach to the community? I just thought that was a step too far that he didn't need to have on his shoulders.

"Listen Kev, I get what your intentions are and I have to say that they are admirable. However, we can't ask you to put yourself into that position. Think about what that might do to your personal relationships and the friendships you already have in your community. Are you really willing to possibly throw that out and loose some possible sources?" Kevin thought about it and sighed. "At the end of the day, it is your division now and I need to follow your lead. I just thought maybe I could help out and do my best to try and improve the relationship."

Erin turned to look at me and then grabbed my hand. "What's on your mind Jay?" I just sighed and looked at her. "I don't want to do anything right when we take over intelligence that could possibly make people trust the police less. I want to be part of the solution, not the problem." Atwater agreed with me. "Then let me take the lead on that okay? I want to help too and I am glad you feel the same way. I am going to reach out to the people in the community on your behalf that might be in the drug areas of town. We looking at certain area of town?"

Erin then bit her lip. "God, this is going to be hard. I know what you are talking about now Jay. This first case I picked is literally right about racial bias. Most of the drugs are in South Chicago...also known as where a majority of Chicago's Black Community lives." Upton then went to speak to us. "Maybe to get show that we are not being racially biased...we can also look in the communities where a hospital is located as well as the surrounding communities." I thought about that and went to look at Erin. "I think that might help to not make this racially biased."

Atwater agreed with Erin. "I have to agree, thanks for thinking about that. Now, what are we going to do when it comes to speaking to you? Are you guys going to always be available to us?" I laughed when he said that. "We will as much as possible. We are at my family cabin for the summer and we are all working from home for a reason. If we need to come back to Chicago we will but...only for a while since we have to find a new home still." That's when Antonio looked at us. "By the way, how are you guys dealing after loosing your home? Do you mind if I ask?:"

I sighed while looking at him. "Honestly, we are in the same boat as Matt and Gabby. Just, they lost a lot more since they lost a lot of their kids' stuff. But back to the case please...I would rather not have to think about the nursery that I made for our daughter." I then went to tear up a bit and sighed. "Mind if I have a minute Erin?" Erin nodded when I said that and went to rub my back. "Hey, of course. Go get a drink of water okay?" I nodded when she said that. "Want me to fill up your water bottle?" She agreed and smiled when I said that. "Please?"

Erin's POV:
Watching Jay get up to go to the kitchen, I sighed and just went to look at everybody else. "Sorry about that guys. He is just a little emotional when he thinks about the house because he had already made the nurseries. He gets even more emotional when he thinks about how he already made our daughter's nursery. Plus...he lost a lot of things that meant a lot to him. He lost some pictures of him and his friends from the army in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, some of them aren't with us anymore. He also lost all the stuff he got from his dad." Everybody nodded and agreed.

Antonio then went to speak up. "Listen, how about you go talk to him and just be with him for a minute? I am going to call my sister to check on them. When you guys are back...give me a call okay?"  I nodded and agreed with him when he said that. "Everybody, work on the parts of the investigation that you have been assigned. I am going to go talk to Jay. Antonio make sure that you do work on the case while you are talking to your sister okay?" Antonio nodded and agreed with me. "Of course Erin, see you guys soon." Going to end the call, I sighed as I got up.

Going to walk out of the bedroom, I saw Jay just sitting on the ground and I sighed. "You realize that I can't get down there. So how about you get up and come sit with me in bed so we can talk?" Jay looked up at me and sighed. "Sorry about being so unprofessional." I then went to grab his hand as he got up. Bringing him close to me, I went to kiss him softly. "All that matters to me is that you are okay. Jay, talk to me okay? We are in this together and you will always come before work. We need to put each other first so that our marriage thrives. So what's wrong Jay?"

Jay sighed when I asked him that question and just went to walk back to bed. "It's still hard to think about all the things we got for our daughter are all gone." I nodded when he said that before watching as he went to sit in bed. "And our son of course." Moving to sit on his lap, I put my hands on his chest and smiled when I felt him rub my stomach. Bending down to kiss it, he smiled while looking up at me. "As much as I love being here with you...I would rather be at home. But I know that isn't possible anymore considering we don't have a home now."

I sighed when Jay said that before going to push his chin up. Looking into his eyes, I bent down to kiss him softly. "But we do Jay, we have a home with each other." Jay smiled and agreed with me as I said that, taking it slow with me as we took a little break from work.