Chapter 501

Matt's POV: After speaking with the entire firehouse for a while longer, I smiled when I went to move into the living room down here so that I could talk to Severide and Delaney for a minute. Sitting down on the couch with my iPad in my lap, I looked at Severide and smiled at him. "Well first, let's start with this....how does it feel to be squad captain Severide?" Severide laughed when I asked him that. "Honestly, it doesn't feel much different than being squad lieutenant."

I laughed when he said that. "Yeah, you're right. However, it does come with a lot more paperwork. Delaney, I want you to delegate to Severide all furlough requests and paperwork related to Squad 3. You are to be the person who goes through them first and sorts through them. If you can deal with it, then you deal with it...you use us as a last resort. Oh and you are also in charge of Squad 3's vacation and furlough scheduling. Sorry, that is too much."

Delaney agreed with me when I said that. "I have to agree with Chief Casey on that Severide. Speaking of which...when are you coming back from your paternity leave Casey?" I then smiled when he asked me that. "I will be back in September. My first shift back is September 3rd. I requested to be the one who does your promotion ceremony for you since it's my first one as chief....I am thinking of doing it that morning if that's okay Severide?" Severide agreed.

Looking at my iPad, I went to see what I got in the e-mails. "Oh and something else...I need you guys to isolate me from the investigation that OFI is doing regarding the house fire we responded to that led to me being here. Since I am a victim of the fire, I am not able to be part of the investigation. Severide, I am going to appoint you as permanent liaison to the Office of Fire Investigations so that I am removed from the process." Delaney agreed. "I can help too."

I agreed with him. "They asked me for more reports from your Lieutenants Delaney...can you please tell them that they are to submit them as soon as possible? I have my suspicions as to who it is but...they still need to confirm it before they can make an arrest." Severide then looked at me. "Can you share who you think it is? Maybe we can look out for him in case he tries to attack us here." I sighed and looked at him. "I think it is Jimmy Borelli. He applied, I refused."

Severide sighed when I said that. "I wondered why he was seemingly stalking us here. I had this feeling that he has been trying to talk to you. I think he has been trying to appeal to you." I sighed when he said that. "I am going to have to get a restraining order against him. I will do that when I am back in town at the end of the month temporarily. We need to find a new place to live before...shit! I just realize that we need to do that sooner than I thought." Delaney sighed.

"Like I said Matt, you take however long you need to be out." That's when I heard Gabby come out. "Antonio is downsizing to an apartment he said. I haven't spoke to you about it yet but...what do you say we ask him if we can move in there until we find a new place to live? It's a 3-bedroom with 2 floors and a basement." I smiled when she said that. "Can you talk to Antonio about that then babe? That sounds great honestly. It is perfect for us, the twins can share!"

Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that. "I am going to do that, I promise. I just don't want him to feel pressured into giving it to us." That's when we both heard Antonio walk downstairs into the basement. "If you are talking about me feeling pressured into possibly giving you the home we are about to put on the market....I would never feel that way." Gabby then smiled as she walked over to him so that she could hug him. "How are you Antonio? Why are you here?"

Antonio smiled as he hugged her. "Can't a brother come check up on his sister in person? I know that you say that you are fine when it comes to your home but...I would love to talk to you in person for a while if that's okay. Well about that amongst other things." I turned to look at Gabby and smiled when he said that. "Go ahead Gabby, I'll finish my conversation with Delaney and then I'll go make some lunch for all of us." Antonio then laughed. "Will's already on it."

I smiled when he said that before getting up. "Wait, you tested negative right?" Antonio nodded and smiled. "Not going to make that mistake again." I laughed and agreed with him. "Christie with you?" Antonio sighed. "We are on a temporary break for the moment." I stared at him when he said that. "What did you do?" Antonio then laughed. "I didn't do anything. The reason we are on a break is actually the reason I am here. I just needed time alone because uhm..."

Antonio then turned to look at Gabby and sighed. "Sis, it's about dad. I know you guys aren't in the best place so...I am leaving it up to you whether you even want to know." Gabby looked at Antonio then he said that. Grabbing his hand, she got scared. "Antonio, just tell me...please." Antonio sighed when she said that before going to grab her hand. "Gabby, dad had COVID. And unfortunately...." Gabby just stared at him when he said that. "No...he?" Antonio nodded.

Looking at her when he said that, I went to sit next to Gabby and wrapped my arms around her, feeling horrible right now because Gabby just lost her father. Sure, I didn't like the guy but this was not the time. First we lose Boden to COVID....and now we loose her dad to COVID....please let this be the last death close to us this year. Gabby then sighed as she turned to look at me. "Matt, what are we going to do?" I then looked at Antonio. "You have room for us at your place?"