CHAPTER 56 | THE ART OF LETTING GO(PART-2)

A few minutes later, Aariz showed up in white t-shirt, beige half pants, flip-flops and his hair roughly towel dried, sticking out in every direction.

The guy was hot but he was looking younger and cuter than usual right then.

"Um, sorry about this but I think we should clear out of here and let him handle it."

Laiba snapped out of the trance when she heard Meher speak.

She was saying, "She might feel embarrassed to come out if we stand here."

Everyone exchanged looks but some of them were already stepping back.

On cue, Aariz came and automatically, all of them moved out of his way.

"No need to worry. I'll get Areesha ready and bring her in no time." Meher waved a carefree hand at everyone.

They were all backing off.

Umme-Zeeshan. Aunt Zara. Faheem Othman. The girls. All of them.

Someone tugged at Laiba's sleeves but she was glued to her place, watching Aariz's back as he was facing the door, knocking and telling Areesha it was him in a low, affectionate voice which she didn't even know he was capable of using until then.

Burhaan stayed too, whispering something into Aariz's ears whereas Meher was standing two steps away from them, watching or listening, she couldn't tell because Habeeba was pulling her away from them.

The distance between them grew wider and wider.

And the image of Aariz, Burhan and Meher became smaller and smaller.

Laiba watched them until they lost the sight of them. It was only when they began stepping down the stairs did she realise something.

She left him with her.

That thought was enough to burn her heart into ashes.

********************************************************************

It took some convincing from Aariz's side but Areesha did give in.

They three stood outside and waited as the door cracked open, revealing a miserable looking Areesha in an oversized sweat shirt and yoga pants, her face a tomato red and eyes puffy with crying.

And when she looked up at Aariz with teary eyes, he stepped up and pulled her into a hug.

Areesha broke into sobs, snuggling into him.

"It's okay....Areesh...its okay...shh..." Aariz consoled her, caressing her back to calm her down.

"I....i...hate....her..." She cried, her voice cracking, "I....hate...her...so...much."

He broke the hug, cupped her face, looked into her eyes and whispered to her, "You don't have to."

She stared at him with wet, baby face.

He wiped her cheeks, "Don't waste your tears, your peace, your emotions or your feelings for someone who doesn't care." He tugged her hair behind her ears and put a hand around her shoulders, taking her along with him as he walked into the room.