CHAPTER: 31 | OBLIVIOUS SOULS (PART-1)

ASSALAMUALAIKUM!!!

*UNEDITED*

*******************************************

Handal placed the bouquet of flowers and the 'Get-well-soon' card, on the table and slowly turned around to face Zeeshan who was standing by the window, his back to her. She pressed her lips together and shifted her weight from one leg to the other, clearing her throat to speak.

"I heard about the incident from a friend of mine who was at the club last night and thought I would see for myself if you are okay?" She said, collapsing her hands together as she was afraid how he might behave with her since she hadn't responded to any of his text or calls from almost a week then, "How are you, really???" She asked, sounding desperate.

Zeeshan kept his back to her, his hands joined behind him. "Better." He answered after a thought.

Hearing his plain reply, she took a step forward carefully. "Doesn't seem like that to me?" She remarked, simply trying to somehow make him talk to her.

He rolled his eyes in response to that one but she couldn't see that.

"I heard you were hospitalised??" She was standing behind him by then, fidgeting with her fingers.

He was, indeed, hospitalised but that was just because of Omar who thought he needed medical attention which was clearly not the case. He hit his head, causing temporary concussion and his broken nose was nothing serious. He was given first aid and some painkillers and then, he was discharged in the morning.

But he just didn't wanted to talk to Handal. So, he did what Aariz would have done if he was in his position.

He ignored her.

"Zeeshan," Handal sighed, letting her hands fall as she lost all her patience, "I'm sorry." She apologised, sounding defeated. "I know I shouldn't have-"

All of sudden, like a wind, Zeeshan faced her, "What do you want, Handal?" He bitterly snapped at her.

Startled, she took a step back, her hands flying to her chest as she breathed with her eyes wide.

"Why are you here???" He questioned.

She was taken aback by the amount of hatred in his voice as she stared at him dumbfounded. After what felt like eternity, she spoke up, "Why am I here?" She gestured to herself, "Zeeshan, I haven't slept all night, tossing and turning on my bed, waiting for the morning to approach so that I could come here and see you." She was clearly hurt, tears welling up in her eyes. "Right from the moment I heard about the incident, all I could think was you!!!" She pointed a finger towards him, a sob escaping from her lips.

Zeeshan scowled, "Why do you care?? Why didn't you just ignore me like you did all week??" He hissed, the nerves on his neck standing.

Handal threw her head back and blinked back the tears. She lowered her head and told him, "Zee, I never meant to avoid you. But-" She lowered her voice, "You left me with no choice." She explained, "What you are asking for me to do is just too much. You have no idea what father is capable of."

"I know." He gritted his teeth in anger.

She shook her head and grabbed him by his shoulders, "No, you-"