CHAPTER: 21 | THE CONSEQUENCES (PART-1)

ASSALAMUALAIKUM!!!!

UNEDITED*

***********************************************************

Sarah took the magazine in her hands and flipped the pages. She stared at the post on the page number thirteen and nodded her head in affirmation, "Yes!" She confirmed it, "He is Zeeshan."

What little of hope Laiba had before, shattered on the ground outright. She screwed her eyes shut in agony and brought the duvet over her face, dragging her feet on the bed and towards her chest. An easy tear spilled out of her eyes and ran down her cheeks as she shook her head, "How is this possible, Sarah!" She mumbled in a weak tone, biting her lower lip. She had said everything about the night before to Sarah the first thing in the morning and asked her to conform whether the guy with Aariz in the picture is Zeeshan or someone else.

She had hoped it wasn't him and someone else instead.

Sarah moved closer to her on the bed and rested a hand on her knees, "I can't believe this." She frowned, "Zeeshan??" She asked incredulously, "How can Zeeshan be Him?" She was perplexed, "I don't understand why he would come to town to begin with. I'm sure we were the only family he had in the town and he never once visited us..." She appraised her and after a moment of thought she asked her, "Are you sure it's Him??"

Laiba had her head resting on her knees and she glanced up at her question, "More than anything." She gulped, "I'll forget my face, not His."

Sarah's frown deepened, "How??" She expressed, "It doesn't make sense."

Laiba bit her lip and gasped after a minute, straightening herself. She faced towards Sarah and said with moistened eyes, "I don't care if it's making sense or not, Sarah! My concern is that it's Him and He is Zeeshan, the guy I'm engaged to." She said plaintively, wondering how she let it happen. "This can't be happening." She shook her head vigorously. "We need to tell Abi." She panicked, "We need to tell him NOW." She hyperventilated as she spoke, on the verge of crying.

Sarah quickly embraced her, bringing her head to her chest and wrapping a hand around her. "I know." Sarah slowly nodded her head in understanding even-though she couldn't see her, "I get it, but-" She paused, "From what Aariz told you, my guess is that Zeeshan was as oblivious about you as you were about him." She mused, "Until, he somehow found out who you were and backed off."

Laiba gripped her tighter, pressing her face further against her chest.

She continued, grazing a hand on her head. "I don't think we need to worry about anything, Laiba." She comforted her, "Zeeshan doesn't have a face to show up at your door. He won't come back unless his path is clear from all the trouble that he brought on himself." She stared forward, her creases on her forehead relaxing. "Whether we tell Abi or not, this alliance is going to end. It's inevitable. But we don't have to be the one doing it."

"Whatever that's need to be done, the Othmans will do it. We just have to wait and watch."

*****************************************************************

Every human with a soul and a heart has a weak point and just like most of the people, Yusuf Othman's weakness was his 'family'. It was complicated in his scenario because the man cared about his reputation way too much to be called healthy. He loved his family dearly but he loved his name and fame more. There is where the problem began. He expected Zeeshan to be perfect in every impossible way. When he was in school, he pressurised him for good grades and expected him to top in all the extra-curricular activities. When he was into sports, he wanted him to be not just a player but a quarter-back for sure. When he went to college, he wanted him to take business course and nothing else. After college, he pressurised him to join the family business and once Zeeshan joined the company, he pressurised him to work enough for the seat of a CEO.