CHAPTER: 6 | THE DAWN (PART-2)

"As-salatu Khayrun Minan-nawm."
(Prayer is better than sleep)

"As-salatu Khayrun Minan-nawm."
(Prayer is better than sleep)

The euphonic call for prayer(Adhan), from the speakers of the tall, sturdy minaret of the high-domed mosque, reached the houses within its plausible radius.

A maid was knocking at every door in the hallway, waking them up for Fajr. Alarms were turned off. Groans were heard. Lamps were lit. Water ran from the faucets. Wadhu(ablution) were made. Fifteen minutes later, the men were in the neighbourhood mosque and the women, in the prayer hall of the house.

After salah and Qur'an recitation, the members of family went about their day; Faheem and Yusuf Othman were having their morning tea on the lawn, the ladies were in the kitchen assisting the maids, the kids were getting ready for school, Areesha was in the terrace practising yoga and doing Pilates with her personal trainer, Zeeshan was in the gym, walking on the treadmill while on a video call on his MacBook and Aariz was out for a run.

A few kilometres away, Sarah and Laiba were enjoying a cup of steaming cup of coffee in the Ahmed Residence whereas Haider Ahmed was taking a post-fajr nap in his bedroom.

It was just another monotonous day for them. Except it wasn't. Something was stirring in the Othman House for the past couple of days. The elders were having hushed conversation. Arguments and debates had occurred. Some decisions were made. And it was now only a matter of time before the cat was let out of the bag.

Freshly showered and dressed in finely pressed suits, Aariz and Zeeshan joined the elders for breakfast that morning. The former ate in silence and the latter chatted with his uncle and father regarding business.

After breakfast, the senior Othman brothers left together for work.

But not before asking Aariz to meet them post-dinner.

"We need to talk to you." They had told him, earning a scowl in return.

"What did you do now?" Zeeshan interrogated his cousin, punching the passcode into the security system at the underground garage.

"Maybe, I breathed against his will?" He humoured.

Zeeshan snickered.

The shutter opened with a bleep, the motion sensor lights illuminating the space.

Aariz and Zeehan stepped into the brightly lit garage and unlocked their cars, making the vehicles quack and their headlights and tail lights flash red.

Zeehan wheeled around and stopped by a glossy Mercedes-Benz, "Do you think the inspector snitched on us?" He chewed on his lower lip.

Aariz popped the door of his Matt Black Lambo, "That was two weeks ago. If he really wanted to snitch, why would he wait that long?" He reasoned, placing his left foot inside and resting his arms on the door.

"Touchè."

"Whatever it is, I'll deal with it." He shrugged carelessly.

He sighed.

"Wanna race?"

Aariz moved from the conversation and challenged him with a tilt of his head.