CHAPTER: 22 | THE CONSEQUENCES (PART-2)

ASSALAMUALAIKUM!!

*Unedited*

************************************************

That night, the city got hit by a frenzied storm.

The rain poured down heavily on the ground and the sky was clustered with dark clouds, casting its dark shadow on the earth. The violent winds whirled, harassing the trees and lamp-post across the streets, the sound of windows clattering rang from every building, curtains dancing in and out. The people were confined inside the safety of their respective homes, leaving the roads barren and lifeless.

In the Othman house, the fireplace in the study room, surrounded by a aesthetic mantelpiece was set on fire that day, keeping the chamber warm and dimly-lit against the darkness. There was a enormous regal-looking single sofa that was basking near the fireplace, with a half filled cup of black-coffee, left sitting on the coffee-table along with a neatly folded newspaper in place. The French-window across the room was where Faheem Othman was standing, with his hands folded behind him while he watched the sheets of rain slosh against the glass on the other-side.

"Is this the book, Dad??"

Faheem Othman turned around and looked at Aariz who was balancing himself on the ladder near the book shelf, holding an old worn out book in his hand. "Yes, that is it." He nodded without looking at the book. "Thank you." He bowed his head a little in gratitude.

Aariz gave him a tight smile before jumping on the carpeted floor, safely landing on his feet. He sauntered towards him and handed him the book. "Anytime." He said, dusting the invisible dust off of his black t-shirt.

His father hugged the book and silently, they both made their way towards the fireplace. The book was just a reason to make his son come to him.

He wanted to talk to him.

Aariz stood near the fire place, rubbing his hands together and holding his palms forward, receiving the warmth of the fire.

Faheem Othman sat on the single sofa and placed the book on his lap, watching his son all the while, "Did you start creating the blueprint for that British project??" He queried, simply to start the conversation.

"Yeah! It's actually almost done." He answered without turning, keeping his back to his father. That was what he was doing all day to distract himself from all the drama that was going on in the home. "But I need to discuss it with my team first before presenting it to everyone else. So, give me a day or two and I'll have it." He stated, grazing the stumble on his cheek.

"Sure. Take your time." He slowly nodded his head, thinking ways to redirect the conversation. "And about tomorrow? You coming with us to Ahmed Residence?" He asked, raising on his feet and standing near him.

Aariz scratch his neck as he felt his father's presence beside him. "Umm.." He screwed his eyes shut, "Noh, Dad! I'm not coming." He denied, eyes on the fire. "You and Uncle Yusuf alone should go and end this, once for and all." He sighed exhaustedly.

After learning the truth, the atmosphere in the house had turned solemn, which was suffocating him.

"Everyone has just become so quiet. I don't like it." He said in a barely audible voice. "Can't wait for everything to be normal again." Even though, the talk happened merely between the elders with Aariz and Urooba for an exception, the words reached everyone else in the house.