Prologue

(Note: you can skip the prologue if you want, it won't affect the story)

When she was about 10 years old, her father got her a watch from his business trip to Dubai. It was a shiny silver sphere attached to a pair of pastel blue straps. It was the first-ever gift from her father(probably the last). The little girl fell in love with the act of receiving something from her father more than the present per se. She imagined him walking into a shop, selecting a specific item bearing her in his mind, spending his money and getting it for her. It felt special.

And the watch? It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen and prolly the most expensive thing she owned.

The girl was on cloud nine.

Her usual sunken face was glowing with a tint of pink on her cheeks and her usual dead eyes looked alive with a hint of spark in them.

She fastened the watch around her delicate wrist and spend the rest of the day admiring it. She only took it off to go to bed, leaving it on her bedside table and falling asleep to the thought of wearing it to school the next day.

Morning, the girl woke up to find her half-sister who had a history of breaking her every favourite thing 'by mistake', trying it on her wrist.

Out of panic, the girl sprang towards her half sister and tried to prey it out of her hands, only for her to dangle it in the air, making it harder for her to reach.

"Please...please...pleaseeee..." The little girl pleaded with her hands joined in front of her half sister, tears flowing freely down her cheeks.

The half-sister took pleasure in the little girl's misery. She ravelled at the sight of the girl(who her mother hated so much)on her knees, begging.

Soon, she got bored of her crying and with a yawn, threw the watch on the bed which just happened to bounce off the mattress and land on the floor with a thud.

The little girl gasped, her wet, swollen eyes widening in horror.

The half sister got scared and ran out of the room while she fell knees first on the floor. She picked up the fallen piece with trembling hands, her heart thundering in her chest.

The crystal(glass cover) of the watch was broken.

And so was her heart.

Pain shot through her chest and she began crying, sobbing and screaming all at the same time.

"No...no...no...no." She held it to her chest tightly and shook her head vigorously, wishing it had not been broken.

Every cell of her body and every fibre of her wept for hours and hours in denial, wishing it wasn't real.

She skipped school that day and spend the entire day on the prayer mat, praying to Allah.

"Please Allah... please... please.... please...Allah please Allah, please...I heard you spilt seas for Moosa AS and...that...you spilt the moon into two and fixed it back, I heard you opened doors for Yusuf AS and you...you had made miracles happen before...you can make miracles happen now... please please please please fix it. Please... please... please fix it."

She made dua with all her heart and soul until she fell asleep on the prayer mat. Again, she woke up for tahjood and made dua until it was time for school.

The girl was now fully confident and believed that Allah would have fixed the watch by now.

After all, she spent 24 hrs praying for it. There was no way He would have not accepted it. She was certain, just like how He helped the prophets, He would have made the miracle happen for her too.

The little girl, with tremendous faith in Allah, braced herself and opened the drawer, fully expecting to see her watch as new.

But, it was as broken as she had left it in the drawer the previous day.

Her chest was an ocean and her heart sunk to the bottom with a speed of a rocket in that instant.

She fell on the bed, exhausted.

Her face was the palest and her eyes were the dullest.

Minutes passed and it was her stepmother's voice that pushed her to her feet.

Numb, she got ready for school. At last, she picked up the watch and inspected the broken crystal. Holding back the tears, she pulled out the pieces and fastened the watch(without the glass cover)
around her wrist.

Wiping the tears off her cheeks, she went to school.

On the bus, a girl seated next to her noticed the watch and asked her.

"Hey! Where did you get that watch from?"

The little girl with sad eyes, glanced down at the watch, "My father got it for me." She mumbled in a low voice.

"It's so cool." The girl complimented.

"Really?" She blinked up in surprise.

"Yeah. It is."

The little girl stared at her, waiting for her to burst out laughing but she never did.

It was unbelievable.

She had not noticed it was broken and thought it was cool.

And it was not until two more girls from her class complimented her watch that she believed it was true.

By the end of the day, she was feeling better and perhaps, happy too.

A few years later, the girl understood that Allah might have not fixed the broken glass for her but he did make the miracle happen.

••••••••••••••••••••

Hey guys! Thank you so much for all your messages(the ones where you said the story wasn't cringe) and for anyone who's still here, seriously, does your partners know they are lucky? I mean if you can stay loyal and stick to a story for so long, imagine how loyal you are to your partner.

Damsel In Damsel readers are green flags, for real.

Oh and back to the story,

My 17 years old self had forgotten to write a prologue to the story so now I wrote one.

And did you check out the reel I made of Laiba, Zeeshan and Aariz?

If not, here's the link👇

https://instagram.com/jomarch2023?utm_source=qr&igshid=MzNlNGNkZWQ4Mg%3D%3D

Username:  jomarch2023

Stay blessed.

Bye 💙