CHAPTER: 5 | THE DAWN (PART-1)

Contrary to how unaffected Laiba had been portraying herself to be, she was, truth be told, a little bit affected.

The call with her Father had left her frightened to the core. No matter where she was, what she did or who she was with, his words hovered over her head, waiting for a chance to harras her peace of mind.

Although she tried her best to not let her inner turmoil reflect on her face, Sarah seemed to have made her assumptions.

Knowing how much Laiba hated being pitied, she was rather silently giving her emotional support by keeping her occupied with fun activities which included baking, painting, walks in nature, buddy-reading and movie nights.

Laiba was grateful for the efforts. She really was. It even helped her to an extent but at the end of the day, when she was in her bed, she had no choice but to face reality.

It bothered her that she was all alone in the world and the only blood relation, i.e., her father, didn't want her.

In fact, he hated her.

After the incident with the Hamadi(s) and the call from her Father, she was feeling hopeless about her future.

She was convinced that her father wouldn't let her get married to anyone.

Haider Ahmed, however, was hell-bent on finding a guy for her.

‘Better than the Hamadi(s)’ His words.

He had taken it upon himself to prove to them that they were people in the world who would marry her. Nonetheless of her past.

He was determined and optimistic whereas Laiba had lost hope in that regard.

And hopelessness was a dark place to be.

___________________________________

Two weeks later:

LAIBA sat cross-legged on a white leather couch, her lustrous brown locks securely enwrapped in a hijab. The revered Quran was placed ever so dignifiedly on the ink-blue cushion upon her lap. The birds chirped outdoors and took their flight, announcing the onset of the mighty sun. The sky had worn an amazing lilac-coloured blanket, dense clouds shielded the sun that was lurking at the horizon. The fog clogged the roads and the bud-like dew drops were formed on the greeny leaves. They slid down the slick leaves like a child from a slide and fell onto the ground, vanishing on the spot as the already moist soil sucked them in.

فَبِأَيِّ آلاَءِ رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَانِ◆
(So which of the favours of your Lord would you deny?)

As Laiba vocalized the ever so significant verses of Sureh-Rehman, the air in the Ahmed Residence went still. The curtains had quite its fluttering and the clock tick tocked with anticipation. Her lean fingers cornered the tip of the legendary book with fondness and she lowered her head in reverence. Her honey-like voice reverberated through the walls, travelled in the air and into the hallways, as it reached the earnest ears of a fine gentleman. He halted for a moment and searched for the source of the voice. A smile teased at the corner of his lips as he paid more heed to the words. He had never heard anyone verbalize the beautiful verses with an equally beautiful voice. It urged him to get closer to it and so he ambled gracefully towards the living room.

Laiba was drunk in the essence of Sureh-Rehman and was completely lost in its aura. The words cascaded down her lips like honey dripping from a beehive. She kept savouring the taste of it, syllable by syllable and evaporated into the world of oblivion. The woman was simply in love with the surah. She made it a habit to recite it every single morning, after Salat-ul-Fajar. It reminded her of all the things the Lord has created and gave her uncountable reasons to be rather grateful. It warned her of damnation and kept her humane. It purified her thoughts and gave her lights of hope. It glorified the greatness of the Greatest Allah and magnified his infinite power over the world.

She was so engrossed in reading the Quran that she did not realize the presence of another human in the room.

Yusuf Obied Othman stood leaning against the door frame, his head hung low and a smile transfixed on his lips. The girl had won his heart with her spirit, her dedication and her sincerity towards the Holy Quran.

"Yusuf?"

Haider Ahmed, who had just entered the hallway, saw him at the threshold and called out his name, startling both of them in the process.

Laiba whipped her head in that direction, to find a stranger in a long white thobe standing by the door. She slowly rose to her feet and placed the Qur'an on a nearby coffee table.

"Assalamualaikum."

"Walaikum assalam…"

Bemused, Laiba watched them exchanging pleasantries.

"Oh! Laiba? I didn't see you." Haider Ahmed finally noticed her standing there and addressed, "What are you doing here?"

She hesitated, gesturing towards the Qur'an on the table, "I was..."

"She was reciting the Qur'an." Yusuf Othman spoke for her instead, "And I must say it was quite enchanting." He couldn't help but compliment.

Laiba felt her cheeks heating at the compliment.

Haider Ahmed's smile merely widened, "Anyone who listens becomes a fan of her recitation." He praised with profound admiration.

"I can see why." Yusuf Othman affirmed.

Timidly, Laiba thanked them, "Jazakhallah." She was so embarrassed she wanted to vanish, "Please, excuse me. I have to go." She picked up her Qur'an and requested to leave.

And when they nodded and moved out of her way, she scurried out of there without a backward glance.

After Laiba left, the men made themselves comfortable on the couch and over the tea and snacks, they had a conversation.

"So, is that the girl...?" Yusuf Othman was the one who prompted the topic.

"Yes. She is the one I told you about." Haider Ahmed nodded, placing the tea cups on the table, "Speaking of which, I needed a favour from you." He said in all seriousness.

"Yes, please. What can I do for you?" Yusuf Othman braced himself and ushered him to tell him what he needed help with.

"You see, Laiba is like a daughter to me." He confessed, "My attachment towards the girl might sound bizarre and I don't expect the world to understand. I believe it's fate. It's no coincidence that Allah chose me and sent her my way.”

Yusuf Othman slowly bobbed his head in understanding.

He continued, "I believe she is an Amanah from Allah. And since her Father has abandoned her and now that she is under my care, I'm willing to take her responsibility. After what happened with the Hamadi(s), I don't want to take any risk."

"I'm a little lost here."

"It was Laiba's father who spoke to the Hamadi(s) and made them back away from the marriage." He revealed, "Which is why I've decided to keep this a secret this time." He exhaled, "And you are going to help me find a nice guy from a good family for Laiba."