CHAPTER: 28 | WOUNDED SCARS (PART-2)

ASSALAMUALAIKUM!!!

*UNEDITED CHAPTER*

*******************************************************

Late in the evening, wearing crisp tailored business suits, respectively matching ties and polished shoes, Aariz and his father were returning home from a conference that day. The car was being driven by a chauffeur while they, both father and son had themselves ensconced in the back seat. It had been a long, hectic day for both of them and it was obvious on their faces that they needed sleep.

Warily, Faheem Othman eyed his son seated beside him, busy typing something on his cellphone. His hair was tousled on his head and he had his back hunched, his fingers running on the screen of the device, incessantly. It had been a week since the night they had shared in the study room and Aariz hadn't talked to him other than necessary ever since. He had been avoiding him and the topic that would prolly come up with them being together.

"When are you going to go and bring Laiba back home???" He asked, solemnly.

Aariz kept himself focused on his cellphone as he answered, "Tomorrow." It was a curt reply.

Faheem Othman knitted his eyebrows, "I've been hearing the same answer from you, for a week now." He marked.

He remained quiet, still on the cellphone.

His father continued, "She went to her home the very next day of her Nikâh and not even once did you care to check on her. What will Haider Ahmed think? That you have abandoned her?"

Aariz snorted, glancing up but not looking at him. "I abandoned her?" He repeated, "She was the one who walked out of the house. I never asked her to." He shrugged, nonchalantly.

Faheem Othman gave him a disapproving look, "However, bringing her back is your responsibility which you have been putting it off for days. Why don't you understand? It's not appropriate to leave your newly wed bride in her maternal home for so long."

Aariz let out a groan of displeasure, falling back on the seat and rubbing his face up and down.

"Until today, I said nothing because I thought it was better for you both to stay apart for some time and consider about each other but you merely seem to be running away from the reality rather than trying to accept it." Faheem Othman was saying everything that he had been wanting to tell him from day one.

While he kept his mouth shut, taking it all in but there was a point where he got annoyed.

"Is everything okay between you both? Areesha was saying Laiba appeared upset the other day. I waved it off-"

"Hold on a second!" Aariz brusquely cut him off, raising a finger and facing his father. "Why does Areesha always keep telling you things about me and my life behind my back???" He arched an eyebrow. "And since when did she start talking to you to begin with??" He let out a breathy, short laugh.

Offended, Faheem Othman's eyes narrowed at the last part and that was when even Aariz realised what he just said

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." He was quick to apologise but words were like bullets, shot from a pistol. Once out, can never be taken back.